Deleted a partition and now it wont show up

mobusta1

2[H]4U
Ok so I made a 2 serious mistakes and I hope I'm not screwed. I just bought a new laptop from HP and started formatting it (windows 7 ultimate x64) and when the screen came up to install an os on a paritition like a dumbass I deleted every single partition (I'm use to only having one drive so it never mattered). Now I can't even see the 2nd laptop hard drive in windows and I have no clue what to do. 2nd mistake, I accidently did the same thing to an external HD because it was plugged in while I was about to install the OS. I have a SHITLOAD of important crap on there and I'm gettin the feelings I'm screwed. Is there anyway I can recover the data from the external and how can I view the 2nd laptop hd again.

Thanks I could really use some answers right now..

Ok i was able to restore the partition of the laptop hd with disk mgmt in control panel. Now I'm just worried about the external.

Last edited:
RightClick on Computer > Manage > Disk Management

This will allow you to repartition. BUT, DON'T start doing that until you figure out your data recovery biz.

And, seriously: why just go deleting stuff...?

Ok so I made a 2 serious mistakes and I hope I'm not screwed. I just bought a new laptop from HP and started formatting it (windows 7 ultimate x64) and when the screen came up to install an os on a paritition like a dumbass I deleted every single partition (I'm use to only having one drive so it never mattered). Now I can't even see the 2nd laptop hard drive in windows and I have no clue what to do. 2nd mistake, I accidently did the same thing to an external HD because it was plugged in while I was about to install the OS. I have a SHITLOAD of important crap on there and I'm gettin the feelings I'm screwed. Is there anyway I can recover the data from the external and how can I view the 2nd laptop hd again.

Thanks I could really use some answers right now..

Most important - when you delete a partition/file and you want to recover data, DON'T use the disk. The more you use it, the more files get overwritten, the less chance you have of recovery.

PhotoRec -
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Despite the name it recovers more than just photos. It runs in DOS mode but is very easy to use. It WILL take a while.

The very first thing I would do is to take a disk image of the external drive. I'd do this under linux with dd. That way if you fuck it up, you can restore the image and try again.

I was able to recover the paritition using partition recovery. This great little program saved me a lot of heart ache.

Over 5 yrs of data would have been gone lol. After I got my data back I thanked god like 20 million times.

I was able to recover the paritition using partition recovery. This great little program saved me a lot of heart ache.

Over 5 yrs of data would have been gone lol. After I got my data back I thanked god like 20 million times.
"In god we trust, but we still do backups"

Back