Delete Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to be contacted by Intel about my auction. If I don't hear from them soon then I'm going to sell this thing.

Be careful when you relist. Intel will often have their investigators bid and win your auction to get your personal information for law enforcement.

If you relist, try to only honor bids from people who have a good amount of feedback.

Here is an example of someone to avoid. I sold an ES CPU a while back on eBay, and this guy turned out to be a Intel investigator: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=pa17

I let him bid on my auction as if nothing was wrong, but I cancelled his high bid at the last moment possible and added him to my blocked bidders list simultaneously. The second highest bidder (who had 200+ feedback) ended up winning.

samerikanyets said:
Ethical issues aside, if they keep pressing to get the processor back you could inform them that, upon closer inspection, you realized it wasn't an ES after all. What a big misunderstanding! Tell them sorry for the confusion, and wish them well in their witch hunt.
For maximum cooling, the heatspreader should be lapped until it's bright and shiny. (Keep an equally shiny 1.6 in a drawer in case the SWAT team shows up and needs something to seize.)

JohnAddisonUK said:
Update again,

I will be sending my ES back to Intel, in trade they are offering a CPU which is not top dog dual core but more than a fair trade.

John

What did they offer you? Just curious. Or maybe they made you sign an NDA about it :D

hah, a LGA775 for a PGA478, seems like a fair trade. Unlocked multiplier vs pci-e.

JohnAddisonUK said:
Update again,

I will be sending my ES back to Intel, in trade they are offering a CPU which is not top dog dual core but more than a fair trade.

John

Bad news for the guy who sold it to you. From what I understand, Intel is able to find out who they gave that ES processor to, meaning that the person who it was loaned to broke a law, and they will come after him for it.

djskankho said:
Why they're actually putting any effort into this is really beyond me. I mean, cut your losses, the chip is a few years old now. Or maybe there's something super special about it :eek:

It has the Death Star plans cut into the silicon...

Several years ago I bought an Intel ES CPU from Kyle right here at HardOCP. I wonder if he got in trouble for doing that? :p

Glad it turned out that well.

A 660 is definately a neat trade-in.

JohnAddisonUK said:
Just sad that they have nothing better to do than to chase 18 month old CPU's that are worth very little at this point in time.....

It's very surprising to me that you can't think of a reason why Intel might be interested in the chip, despite its age. Let me provide a simple scenario so you might not feel so victimized.

Say that Intel, during their development process, tries to implement a new feature. Or, even, implement an old feature with an innovative technique. They thought they had it working, so they started cutting engineering sample chips and sending them around for testing.

Later in the testing cycle, they found problems. Maybe the ES chips were even sent out when that problem was known, but they didn't want to delay the sample cycle (and therefore the rest of the product release) to issue fixed chips. Perhaps they removed the feature altogether, implemented it a different way, or so on.

For the final release of the feature, they might have changed the implementation method, or removed the feature altogether.

But your chip does have that feature, since it is a prototype. It's easy to see that Intel would want to get the chips back so that the feature or its implementation can't be reverse-engineered by a competitor.

To you, what you have is just a chip. You don't appear to think much of it. For the designers engineers at Intel, it represents millions of man-hours of work, incredible insights into physics, chemsitry, optics, and electronics.

Why wouldn't you be more respectful of their knowledge and efforts?

if intel really wants to keep your business, the multi billion dollar corporation can send a dual core your way... if not, keep the cpu and move to amd

dumbest. reply. yet.

its nice that its working out for you :D only problem, is now you need a new mobo and GFX card
(unless your on PCI-E already?)

JohnAddisonUK said:
Update again,

John
"Sorry john, you've been punk'd, bitch"

slamgoku said:
"Sorry john, you've been punk'd, bitch"

No, they'll send it. And i think that was hella nice of Intel to trade you a 660 :eek:
makes me wanna buy an ES, relist it on Ebay, and then trade up through Intel.

The point here is that Intel has loads of money. They don't give a shit about the end users of these stolen CPU's. Understandably they want to find where the leaks are. And in the end, the cost for that 660 they are trading you will probably be passed along to the leak. One way or the other,

0mega said:
its nice that its working out for you :D only problem, is now you need a new mobo and GFX card
(unless your on PCI-E already?)

Oh I think he was planning on it ;)

That whole debate on ES chips is worrying me as I currently have one. I will not sell thru ebay for sure since it is too easy to be tracked down. I think I will simply sell mine locally or maybe someone here wants it :D

I don't understand Intel hunting down poor guys with ES chips instead of focussing on parties who they lend their processors for testing. If you want to control where the chips go, simply build a registry with WHICH processor goes to WHOM and then ask them after a trial period of whatever the duration. I think Intel is simply not harrassing the right people or they simply want to scare people from buying them. Wooooh, I am afraid... :eek:

Para

Parabellum said:
I don't understand Intel hunting down poor guys with ES chips instead of focussing on parties who they lend their processors for testing. If you want to control where the chips go, simply build a registry with WHICH processor goes to WHOM and then ask them after a trial period of whatever the duration. I think Intel is simply not harrassing the right people or they simply want to scare people from buying them. Wooooh, I am afraid... :eek:

Para

Uh they probably do know which processor went to who but without the processor they can't tell who lost control of the ES. So once they get it back they go knock on that guys door. That is the point in going after the guy with the processor.

Its good to see that you are supposedly getting a chip in return for the ES. Good show! ;)

"Just sad that they have nothing better to do than to chase 18 month old CPU's that are worth very little at this point in time....."

To be honest, I think Intel couldn't care less about you as an individual consumer, or for the fact that you have the processor. You say, "it isn't some brand new chip", but, it may very well have been, if leaked by the same person.

All they want is information.

So for an old S478 ES you get a brand new 660? Wow, then intel will shit their pants once i try and sell my 570J ES, im gonna ask for an 840XE in return, lol.

I hope they dont come knocking on my door for my collection of ES chips. If they do though I be I could get at least a PII 450 for my PPro 133 ES WOOT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!! Who knows what I could get for my stacks of Itanium ES & QS chips.....

JohnAddisonUK said:
Yea, PCI-E is the plan but sadly not SLI.

See, I run at the moment two monitors with a desire to run a third. Seeing as SLI won't do multi monitor I'm gonna go with a 7800GTX for my main monitor or Ultra if they are around soon and a 6800GT to run my secondary monitors :)

I hope you already have the 6800gt, as that isn't worth buying if you just want the extra monitors.

JohnAddisonUK said:
Update again,

John

Hmm, this is interesting... Maybe I should contact Intel and make them an offer for my p4 2.6 Northwood ES, lol...

When I first got it I emailed Intel asking them about whether the multiplier could be changed on an Intel-branded board, since it was unlocked. They replied, not answering my question but instead asking me to "immediately report" in a reply email the numbers on the CPU and where I bought it from. I never replied, lol!

Even if they'd make a similar offer though, I never really liked any P4 since the Prescott (and none before the Northwood either for that matter) and I dunno if I want to go through the hassle of getting an LGA775 mobo and putting up with high temperatures, etc. Plus I wonder if the original "user" of this CPU (the one that signed the NDA) would get into trouble over it? Even considering I have no idea who the person that signed the NDA is, realistically I'm sure anyone that buys an ES CPU knows they are buying something they "aren't supposed to"...

1c3d0g said:
They have no right to even ask it back, let alone force the owner to return it, without an equivalent CPU in return. The CPU was BOUGHT LEGALLY, so he wasn't the one that took it off Intel's hands. He is simply the victim here, not the damn thief! :mad:

No matter how far down stream you are, third or fourth owner...legally it is still stolen property......and if you bought one you are technically guilty of receiving stolen property, so they DO have the right to recover it, and can force the issue with local law enforcement.

I forsee a flood of ES samples coming back to Intel, hahaha. I don't know how much he paid for the 3.0ES,...but he is getting a $600 proc back. Even if he doesn't use it, he can turn around and sell the legit processor on ebay and make good money back.

Mad Machinist said:
No matter how far down stream you are, third or fourth owner...legally it is still stolen property......and if you bought one you are technically guilty of receiving stolen property, so they DO have the right to recover it, and can force the issue with local law enforcement.

100% correct. And might I add to the end of that, they can force the issue with local law enforcement and they WILL win. I can't see what that person you quoted was thinking (or if... ;)). It's like saying I stole your car, then sold it to someone else, so it must be their car now no matter what.

Along those lines, anyone wanna go "steal" some houses? ;)

Anyone think intel will go after THIS GUY:
9 ES's

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Glad it turned out well for you in the end. We went through this same thing back in The Day on the [H]|forum. That was back when I was modding TH7-II's for folks... that was what, 2001? Anyway, some dude was selling ES chips here and on Ebay, and Intel showed up and asked for the parts back. After much consternation on the forum, everyone who sent their parts back got two chips back from Intel. It worked out well for everyone involved. Contrary to what seems popular belief, it turns out that *real people* work for Intel, and sometimes they turn out to be decent folks.

*foo said:
Contrary to what seems popular belief, it turns out that *real people* work for Intel, and sometimes they turn out to be decent folks.

I've never met an Intel employee I didn't like.

Robstar said:
Anyone think intel will go after THIS GUY:
9 ES's

And just to update again, I bought two of thes guys ES cpu's. The better one got to 3.8ghz on an Intel retail cooler (the older ones). Incredible cpu doing 1ghz overclock on stock voltage.

Woot!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
·PitBuLL· said:
Bad news for the guy who sold it to you. From what I understand, Intel is able to find out who they gave that ES processor to, meaning that the person who it was loaned to broke a law, and they will come after him for it.

How do they know that before hand? Do they buy every, or try to remove every eBay listing of an ES processor, just to get the stepping and what not?

Back to the topic, while what you did is right, and legal, just for kicks you should have sent it to AMD. :p

hi,
ok you are sure your dealing with intel?
- any real proof its not just someone trying to scam you out of your chip?
what address do they want it sent to, and what phone number ?- you have checked this all out to be real i take it?

sounds like a scam to me - ebay would have pulled you ages ago if intel called them, as that chip only ever belongs to them - much like your bank cards always belong to the bank.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back