Delete Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell man, send it back... And ask for a Pentium 4EE for your troubles ;)

How much are you trying to sell it for? I have a 478socket board that is supposedly good for overlocking, good ram. But when I ordered my 2.4B it was the less than amazing B0 stepping that barely reaches 2.7ghz :( Even with my eneremax server tower when shitons of airflow, 6000rpm ram over aluminum heatsink with copper core it typically runs 45-50C which is quite warm for a p4 northwood.

JohnAddisonUK said:
Well he has not responded to my offer to let him purchase it, I suppose i'll give him a day or two more and then sell it here maybe.

Oh well, drama over I suppose :D Thanks

Be nice to these guys (Intel) and they might not come after you. It's not that this big company is worried about something so small and seemly meaningless. How you got it might be more important than the fact that you have it. As you've been warned, they still own it and what you do now can will be held against you. So you're trying to sell stolen property in a manner of speaking. The UK laws on this matter are very similar to the US, if not stricter.

Donnie27

Bottom line is this. Techncially Intel owns the CPU. I would ask nicely about a remedy to the situation that works out well for everyone involved.

Yikes, this makes me kinda scared. I've got a 3.2 ES prescott on ebay right now. Should I be worried? :confused:

not good. i was thinking of putting up my p4 ee es on ebay because i was thinking of getting dual core...

please do keep me updated on this. worst case scenario is that i may be stuck with a 100 gram paper weight

Look I have heard this story several times and I myself have purchased and sold es chips on ebay, I never was bothered, but some people I know of that have been bothered by intel say that if you work with them and explain you didn't realize that an es chip is stolen and that returning it would leave you empty-handed and the least they could do is send a substitute chip of equal value they usually work with you explain to the you do not remember who you bought it from, and that you would like to be of more help.

Problem solved

My auction just got shut down and I do believe Intel made the request.

We would like to let you know that we removed your listing:

6783328796 Engineering Samle Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 3.2 478 Prescott CPU

because a patent holder notified us, under penalty of perjury, that your listing offers an item that infringes their patent rights.

We have credited any associated fees to your account. We have also notified the bidders that the listing was removed, and that they are not obligated to complete the transaction.

If you relist this or any other similar items on eBay, your account likely will be suspended.

If you believe your listing was ended in error, or have questions regarding the removal of this listing, please contact the patent holder directly at:

Intel Corporation
[email protected]

This is for real guys. Be careful with ES chips. Fortunately, I haven't been contacted by Intel yet.

I can confirm to you that its for real. That email address is real, as long as the mail was routed through Intel servers.

Intel owns those cpu's. They'll loan them out for companies but the contract states that Intel may request them back at any time. So when you're buying an ES CPU you are buying stolen goods and Intel has no obligation to compensate you for your loss.

Menelmarar said:
How much are you trying to sell it for? I have a 478socket board that is supposedly good for overlocking, good ram. But when I ordered my 2.4B it was the less than amazing B0 stepping that barely reaches 2.7ghz :( Even with my eneremax server tower when shitons of airflow, 6000rpm ram over aluminum heatsink with copper core it typically runs 45-50C which is quite warm for a p4 northwood.
u need a 2.4c, not b

Interesting they claim patent issues, not ownership.

What's up with that?

i have to agree with kyle, call up intel from a payphone or something, tell em you have an ES chip and that whats his face had your auction on ebay removed and ask to talk to him and try and get a mutually friendly solution to work out, GET IT ON PAPER because its an ES chip, intel may scam you for it back...

Try to get a replacement, if they refuse and threaten a lawsuit, send it back to them. Except, dont just send it back to them, smear poo on the chip and put it in the envelope.

Just Simply Give them a Call, and tell them you did not know you could buy/sell these cpu's and ask if possibly would trade you for a end user version of the chip (Saying that you would love to give it back to them, But you wont have a working PC).. Simple as that.. Be courteous and try to be helpfull.. :) And if they say No. I guess you learned never to buy a Intel COnfidential Chip eh? :eek:

Good Luck!

Jasonx82 said:
Just Simply Give them a Call, and tell them you did not know you could buy/sell these cpu's and ask if possibly would trade you for a end user version of the chip (Saying that you would love to give it back to them, But you wont have a working PC).. Simple as that.. Be courteous and try to be helpfull.. :) And if they say No. I guess you learned never to buy a Intel COnfidential Chip eh? :eek:

Good Luck!

Being the buyer of said chips is fine. Selling them and getting caught is what sucks.

I sure as hell would not send it back to him, but send them the seller's name & the stepping. That's probably the main thing that they want. Asking for it back is just to show that "they mean business."

Really, there is nothing they can do and they know that, because there are so many things you could "accidentally" do to it before you return it to them, that you could easily defend in court. "Oops I dropped it into the wood chipper! Sorry! You are sueing me? Prove it." So it is highly doubtful that they would pursue this.

This is definitely a dick of a way to handle yourself, but if you look @ it from Intel's perspective, they are the ones getting screwed. It's like loaning your friend a CPU, asking for it back and finding out he sold it to someone! I'd be pissed. But I think they are more concerned with finding the deadbeat reviewers who are selling their chips from out from under them.

The chip is legally Intel's property. There is no question about that. By having eBay shut down these auctions of ES chips, they are more than likely trying to stop the proliferation of the chips. I doubt that they would pursue legal action against the OP, but you probably do not want to risk it. Grandstanding will only hurt you here. Also, it might be advisable to ban the sale of ES chips here. If Intel found out that people were selling ES chips over Kyle's forums, this could be a huge liability for Kyle and the seller of the chip. It doesn't seem logical that their strongarm tactics will stop with just eBay auctions if they are indeed trying to stop distribution of ES chips into the general marketplace.

JohnAddisonUK said:
Thats the guy who had mine took down.

First I got this mail from eBay:

Then a while later I get this:

BTW, i've removed Richards e-mail from my post. Might not be a good idea to post it, maybe you should remove it to bubblethumper? Just in case.

Not sure it will matter.....it is easily googled with his name and the word intel...along with what appears to be his phone number.

JohnAddisonUK said:
Yea, i got his contact details from the e-mail he sent me. Still heard nothing from him...

THIS IS A INTEL REPRESENTATIVE WHO WORKS IN THE PROCESSOR DIVISION. I CAME ALONG AND NOTICED THIS THREAD ABOUT YOUR ES CPU. I DEMAND YOU SEND IT BACK IMMEADITLY BEFORE WE GET 100 LAWYERS AFTER YOUR ASS.
PM ME AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT ADDRESS TO SEND THAT ES CPU TOO SO I CAN RESELL IT.
LOL

JUST KIDDING

:D :D :D

UnrealCpu said:
THIS IS A INTEL REPRESENTATIVE WHO WORKS IN THE PROCESSOR DIVISION. I CAME ALONG AND NOTICED THIS THREAD ABOUT YOUR ES CPU. I DEMAND YOU SEND IT BACK IMMEADITLY BEFORE WE GET 100 LAWYERS AFTER YOUR ASS.
PM ME AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT ADDRESS TO SEND THAT ES CPU TOO SO I CAN RESELL IT.
LOL

JUST KIDDING

:D :D :D

What makes this funnier is the FX-55 in your sig.

That happened to a friend of mine. He was reselling a p4 560 ES and got the same email from Intel. He didnt want any trouble so he decided to be nice and sent it to intel. They sent him a replacement, but it was only a p4 550 for replacement :( THey paid all shipping charges to and from. It sucked for him, but he didnt want to get in any trouble

Ethical issues aside, if they keep pressing to get the processor back you could inform them that, upon closer inspection, you realized it wasn't an ES after all. What a big misunderstanding! Tell them sorry for the confusion, and wish them well in their witch hunt.

JohnAddisonUK said:
i paid for this item so as far as i'm concerned its mine.

The law would disagree wtih you there. The nemo dat rule says that you can only pass on as good a title as you have. The person who you bought it from cannot have had indefeasible title (as Intel retains this), and so cannot give you that title.

I'd try and get somethign out of it, but if it came to the courts, property law works against you.

Great idea if you remove ethics from the equation, you can even send them a picture of your non-ES cpu! lol, nudge, nudge, wink-say-no-more

samerikanyets said:
Ethical issues aside, if they keep pressing to get the processor back you could inform them that, upon closer inspection, you realized it wasn't an ES after all. What a big misunderstanding! Tell them sorry for the confusion, and wish them well in their witch hunt.

1c3d0g said:
They have no right to even ask it back, let alone force the owner to return it, without an equivalent CPU in return. The CPU was BOUGHT LEGALLY, so he wasn't the one that took it off Intel's hands. He is simply the victim here, not the damn thief! :mad:
last time i check it has to be SOLD legally to be BOUGHT legally.

Josh_B said:
Not true.

If you buy stolen goods, sorry but you're out of luck. The CPU could be considered evidence, and as such, can legally be confiscated.

If I were you, I would play dumb, say you bought the CPU not knowing it was an ES, and ask if you could trade for a legit one. As others have said, they can easily afford to give you a replacement, and if they have any P.R. sense, they should be forthcoming.
intel isnt THAT stupid

ur guilty of blackmail and im certain ebay can be made to turn over your contact info. i actually am on intels side. if u didnt know ES's are permanently intel's property or u just dont care, u deserve to be sued. thats my two cents.

slamgoku said:
intel isnt THAT stupid

Maybe, maybe not. However, as I mentioned earlier, Intel would most likely not want to 'rock the boat'. If he was cooperative, they would most likely give him an equivalent replacement to keep him happy. (and quiet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back