delayed write error path too deep

I recently removed the "ibm death star" drive from my system, which began the problem.

After removing the deskstar the only HD in the system is a WD200JB, which had the OS on it to begin with.

The comp boots but windows is slow. When attempting to access files on the drive i recieved delayed write errors. With no salvation in site i figured it would be a good time to format anyway. (strangely enough reconnecting the deskstar made this problem go away. but the drive sporadically dies, and perpetually whines and an annoying frequency so it had to go).

I backup the data on another comp in the house and begin to format, a write zeros format.

Windows XP Pro is reinstalled and everything is smooth. I copy the data that was backed up onto a seperate partition (3 partitions ~19.5 with the OS on it, ~9.76, and ~156). The 156gb partition now gives me an error. Cannot copy files from selected drive, the path is too deep. Delayed write errors, because the path is too deep.

I reclaimed ownership of the files on the drive (hopefully the right way) and i've run "chkdsk /f /r" which led to some corrections of index files but it will freeze on step 4, verifying file data.

What else can i try?

thanks for reading
jason

you could have some bad sectors
go to the manufacturers web site and look for a low level format tool. it will probably be a floppy image, then boot to it, format, boot off windows disk, make ntfs filesystem, install windows

Sounds like your (sub)folder's full path has exceeded the maximum lenght limit. Just move the offending subfolder to the drive root - that should fix it. If you get errors when attempting to move the folder, use it's 8.3 (short/DOS) name.

Back