Delay in receiving emails at my work email address.

Lately, I've had a delay in getting my emails for some reason. I usually get email's within 10-15 minutes of their time stamp but lately they have been taking much longer. I sent myself a few test emails from home and didn't receive them at my office until over 12 hours later. I had my wife send two more test emails from our free msn account and our regular email account and after a day and a half I've only received one of them. I even got a follow-up email from her asking whether or not I had received the first email before I actually received the first email. Anyone know what could be causing this?

call your email host for your work email

if it is hosted locally at your work they may have made changes to their mail server to not download emails so fast.

Could be greylisting as well; it would show this kind of behavior as well.

Talk to the admin at work, see what's up.

XOR != OR said:
Could be greylisting as well; it would show this kind of behavior as well.

Talk to the admin at work, see what's up.
Yea, that's what it made me think of as well.

For a quick over view, gray listing servers tell the sending smtp server to defer delivery of the email, if it's a legit server it should try again not too long after, and the server doing the greylisting will whitelist the sender for a period of time (30 days, maybe more maybe less).

Now, if they are consistantly being delayed, it may not be grey listing, but instead that the smtp server is simply under over loaded, or the spam filtering is taking more time (esspecially with the recent increase in spam activity).

Don't forget to read my sig :)

Back