Deino MPI = teh suck?

sl1982

Limp Gawd
I put the deino MPI on my phenom as I was having problems with the MPICH version. Is there a reason its so bad? I went from like 1900ppd down to 1100. Is there anything I can do?

That's a bad ppd drop. Did you try rebooting and see if it improve ?

Yes, didnt help. Can i run linux or something in a vm? Will it work on a phenom?

Yes, you can run linux with a VM without problems.

Does notfred work under VM? I know nothing about linux so that seems the easiest way to go.

Sorry about all the questions guys.

Does notfred work under VM? I know nothing about linux so that seems the easiest way to go.

Sorry about all the questions guys.

Yes, it should work under VM and don't worry about the amount of questions, they are meant to be answered :cool:

Ok just one more. Does VMware let u emulate a usb disk for the notfred install? I dont have a usb stick.

Ok just one more. Does VMware let u emulate a usb disk for the notfred install? I dont have a usb stick.

That's a good question, I never found out myself so i'll let someone else answer it :eek:

What version of vmware do i need? Theres a bunch of them. Downloaded VMware player but i dont think thats what i need

What version of vmware do i need? Theres a bunch of them. Downloaded VMware player but i dont think thats what i need

You will need VMWare server 1.0.7 I believe (or the latest 1.0.x version, not 2.0).

Which is your main OS ??

If XP the use VMWare Server. v1.0.7 not v2.0.

If Vista then either v2.0 as its digitally signed for Vista bit it works through a web interface or v1.0.7 but its not digitally signed but the interface is better.

VMWare Server is free if you get the 2 core version.
So just setup 2x virtual machines of 2 cores each on a 4 core CPU.

Luck ........... :D

OK new problem. Im running 32bit XP and vmware says it cannot run a 64bit guest OS. Any idea why?

Yes, it should work under VM and don't worry about the amount of questions, they are meant to be answered :cool:

You know, this is one thing I really like about this sub-forum and this team overall. You can ask a question and if someone knows they'll give a straight up answer. If no one knows, then you got guys jumping through hoops to find out the answer. What you don't have is bunch of pissy fags screaming out "Use search next time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:." or "uh, uh, there's like a sitcky about that. Why don't you read it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:" That really says a lot about you guys. kudos.

OK new problem. Im running 32bit XP and vmware says it cannot run a 64bit guest OS. Any idea why?

Whatever image you're using has a 64-bit OS installed, which can't run under a 32-bit OS (processor can't execute 64bit commands in 32-bit mode).

The host OS have no impact. However, did you disable VT (or Vandepool Technology) in the bios ?

I'm running a 64 bit Linux OS inside a VM on XP 32, so thats not the problem.

Check in the bios that virtulzation (sp) is turned on.

Luck ......... :D

VT will let you run a 64bit guest on a 32bit host? What about the processor being in legacy mode for the 32bit OS?

Correct but your processor must support VT as well. The budget line of C2D like the E4xxx, E2xxx and E5xxx lack the VT support so you cannot run it.

Well i have a phenom 9750. Could have swore it had virtualization.

It seems notfred doesnt work anyways. I direct booted the disk and it cant find the stanford website. Maybe its not compatible with my network. Weird since it grabs an ip address from dhcp. Oh well

Well i have a phenom 9750. Could have swore it had virtualization.

It seems notfred doesnt work anyways. I direct booted the disk and it cant find the stanford website. Maybe its not compatible with my network. Weird since it grabs an ip address from dhcp. Oh well

Everything should run right if it went as far as to grab an IP. I know its not Friday yet, but maybe the server its trying to grab a WU from is just down?

Didnt get that far. Wouldnt even download the client. Got it working in a VM. VMware says no 64bit guest OS but it worked anyways. Weird eh

Ok well i just got home from work and the notfred client under vmware isnt working. So much for that. Whats an easy linux distro for a noob?

Ok well i just got home from work and the notfred client under vmware isnt working. So much for that. Whats an easy linux distro for a noob?

Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and Fedora

Seems notfred has some version of his diskless folding made specifically for vmware. Working good now. Time to see what all the fuss is ovr this a2 core :)

Ok quick question. I need to reboot my computer but since the notfred running in the vm will lose all data (assumption) when i reboot is there any way to save the info?

Ok quick question. I need to reboot my computer but since the notfred running in the vm will lose all data (assumption) when i reboot is there any way to save the info?

I believe VMware can save the state of the virtual machine instead of shutting it down.

Well i dont normally try anything fancy like running different os' virtually. But man this a2 core kicks ass. Im getting an extra 1700ppd from my phenom with this. :D

Back