Degraded Raid 1 Problems

p0lish

Gawd
I have a box running windows server 2003, on RAID 1 with two 250gb drives. It seems like every two weeks or so the raid becomes "degraded" while the individual drives themselves show up as healthy. The drive on PRI 1 always seems to be the drive to go out, and i had this problem before and thought it was a faulty drive, but i replaced it to find the same problems. I have been getting server crashes every couple days or so saying that windows was temporarily unable to read the hard drive. Any suggestions or ideas on what i can do?

Thanks,
Bill Tracy

What type of drives are they? Are they RAID edition drives with TLER or are they just normal IDE/SATA? Is it hardware or software RAID you are running? If hardware, what card?

They are normal SATA drives with hardware raid. The card is an embedded adaptec raid controller.

Can you let us know who makes the drives? Also, maybe try a different SATA cable?

One of the drives in my raid5 array kept dropping out on me. I set my controller to poll the SMART status every minute and have not had a problem since.

can i take out the 2 drives from the onboard raid and set them up on another PCI raid controller without losing all the data and reconfiguring the raid? Im gonna add a hotspare so if this happens again, hopefully it wont be as bad.

Back