• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Definitely time to upgrade(ATX

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
422
I came here awhile back for advise but decided to limp along with my old computer. I apologize for wasting anyones's time. But now I'm sure I gotta upgrade because my 6 year old rig no longer functions at all. I need to purchase the guts of a general use computer but need it to be good for games - best bang for the buck for about $225. I need a CPU, mini ATX motherboard, and RAM. I like Amazon and/or Newegg. I think Intel might be the way to go. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Are you near a Microcenter?

Otherwise, we can still make this happen, but it will be 8GB instead of 16GB of ram.
 
Are you near a Microcenter?

Otherwise, we can still make this happen, but it will be 8GB instead of 16GB of ram.
Actually I think I was wasting people's time.
Are you near a Microcenter?

Otherwise, we can still make this happen, but it will be 8GB instead of 16GB of ram.
Thanks, I already purchased an i5-4460 and a MSI H81 board. Sorry, I should have realized that my requirements were simple. I searched, "best CPU/motherboard combo Sept 2016"



 
Oops - the motherboard I just bought is a micro version - too small for my case. Lucky there was still time to cancel. Can anyone recommend a basic mini ATX motherboard for my i5 4460.
 
I'm a little confused. What form factor is my present motherboard, which is the Biostar TA880GB+?
 
MicroATX

There's nothing stoppping you putting a smaller motherboard in a larger case.
 
I mean, you might have to move the mounting screws around a bit, but those screw holes will be there.

Modern cases fit all motherboard types at their rated sze and below, whether you get ATX, MicroATX, or MiniITX.

An ATX case can fits all three, and is is bigger than a MicroATX case. The MicroATX case can fit MicroATX or MiniITX motherboards. The MicroATX case is bigger than a MiniITX case, which can JUST fit a MiniITX board.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I was confused but clear now. Thanks.
About RAM. Can I reuse 8gb of 1333 that I have now or will I notice significant performance bump with newer RAM - just for gaming - mostly single player GTA V and the new Mafia game.
 
Back
Top