Define R5 $88.99 Newegg Shell Shocker

great case, although my front USB ports are so tight I won't use them anymore for fear of breaking usb devices. To their credit, Fractal sent me new ones I just haven't bothered to switch them out yet.

great case, although my front USB ports are so tight I won't use them anymore for fear of breaking usb devices. To their credit, Fractal sent me new ones I just haven't bothered to switch them out yet.

I have that issue with the legacy USB connectors, but the USB 3 connectors are fine. I contacted Fractal and they're sending me another set. Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not, I'm going to contact them again. I suggest you do the same. They actually have a video tutorial for changing them, so I think it's a common problem.

That's a good looking case. Shame I'm not in the market for one.

Have this exact case. It's the shiznitz. And the TS from Fractal is stellar.

Has anyone tried this and the R4?

I currently have the R4 and love it, I'm curious if this is the same or better.

I built a system for my mother with one a few years ago. I think this has more room behind the MB, the HD cages can be removed if you want more room, the front door can be reversed and I don't recall the other changes. I know there are some changes that are allegedly worse, but I don't have any complaints so far.

Also the R5 has amounts for 2 SSDs behind the MB (don't recall that on the R4) and the front LED is white instead of blue.

I built a system for my mother with one a few years ago. I think this has more room behind the MB, the HD cages can be removed if you want more room, the front door can be reversed and I don't recall the other changes. I know there are some changes that are allegedly worse, but I don't have any complaints so far.

Also the R5 has amounts for 2 SSDs behind the MB (don't recall that on the R4) and the front LED is white instead of blue.

I think the R4 SSD mounts required the MB to be out to use them becasue of how the screws were installed.

The top of the case is different as well. All the reviews seem to say that the R5 was overall an improvement over the R4

I've built and own both the R4 and R5, the R5 is actually an all around complete upgrade, if only slightly. It was a pleasant surprise. I've had some minor problems with rattling grills with the R4, but the R5 has been a SOLID performer, dead quiet. Build quality doesn't skip a beat. R5 IMO is the best case in a price region reaching twice it's price easily. I'm severely disappointed that I missed this deal, needed a case.

Back