Defective GTX 680?

DrexelDragon

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to overclock my Galaxy Geforce GTX 680 GC 4GB. Problem is, I cannot set the power target above 112%, the number I should be able to set it to is around 132%. Any ideas what the problem is? I've tried MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X, and Galaxy's Xtreme Tuner and none will let me set it above 112%. I have tried completely removing Nvidia drivers and reinstalling the latest WQHL and the latest beta drivers and nothing helped.

I may try a complete Windows re-installation later. Anybody see this happen before? Defective card?

Specs:

Galaxy Geforce GTX 680 GC 4GB
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.8 GHZ
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb
Samsung 830 128 GB SSD
Western Digital 320GB HDD
Windows 7 64-Bit

132% is only for reference cards. If your card has something other than the standard 6+6 power, than your available power target % will be lower. The total power is capped (at least for most cards) so since your base power available is higher (because of 6+8 power, for instance) your allowable percentage increase will be lower.

For example (and these numbers aren't the actual numbers) if the power limit is 300W and the reference card is normally 225W (from 6+6 power) than 132% is 300W. If your card has a base of 275W (because it is 6+8) than your 112% still yields the same 300W total.

Last edited:
132% is only for reference cards. If your card has something other than the standard 6+6 power, than your available power target % will be lower. The total power is capped (at least for most cards) so since your base power available is higher (because of 6+8 power, for instance) your allowable percentage increase will be lower.

For example (and these numbers aren't the actual numbers) if the power limit is 300W and the reference card is normally 225W (from 6+6 power) than 132% is 300W. If your card has a base of 275W (because it is 6+8) than your 112% still yields the same 300W total.

Not true. Take a look at this article:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/30/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_overclocking_redux/2

They managed 133% on this Non-reference card. It was a 2x8 Pin connnector.

Overclocking isn't a guarantee. If it runs at stock designed speeds the card isn't defective.

Its irrelevant honestly, I don't believe any 670's or 680's ever go above 100% anyway, people only adjust the power target higher as precaution for overclocking. I seriously doubt your card will ever even reach 112%

Its irrelevant honestly, I don't believe any 670's or 680's ever go above 100% anyway, people only adjust the power target higher as precaution for overclocking. I seriously doubt your card will ever even reach 112%

It reached 112 consistently when I was overclocking lol

Not true. Take a look at this article:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/30/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_overclocking_redux/2

They managed 133% on this Non-reference card. It was a 2x8 Pin connnector.

That's also a Lightning card, which is special. Notice I said "for most cards". Check the reviews, you'll see plenty of other cards that do something other than 132%.

Here's quote about it from a Nexus review:

Overclocking used to be easy. You'd add some voltage, increase the speeds until failure set in, and then pull it back a little. Now, with GTX 680, one needs to factor in 'offset' overclocking and the card's Power Target. Each manufacturer's BIOS sets this Power Target - which defines the amount of power the board can consume - to whatever they feel comfortable with, ranging from 105 per cent to 140 per cent, according to what we've seen first-hand. Gigabyte plays it safe, offering a Power Target of 110 per cent.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40973-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-680-oc-kepler-rides/?page=10

Last edited:
Right. And my card is supposed to be able to be set to 132%. Now, I'm trying to figure out if its a driver, software or hardware issue...

Are you sure of that? Have you sen any reviews that show 132% power target? There are other cards with lower power targets, so just because some cards go to 132% doesn't mean they all do.

Edit: And I don't know what that card is supposed to go to either, I just know that not all of them go to 132%.

Last edited:
My first batch Galaxy 680 also would not allow me to set 132%. I forget what the limit was though.

Using which monitoring program? And you do realize Furmark isn't remotely close to a real world program which is why NO ONE uses it anymore.

MSI Afterburner...Didn't know that about Furmark I'm relatively new to GPU overclocking, so what would use suggest to use as a stress test?

Just wanted to let you all know, I spoke with a Galaxy rep and we determined the problem was when the card was first released apparently Nvidia wanted the PT limited to 112%. Since then, they have relaxed a bit and Galaxy tech's are preparing a BIOS update for my card. It will now be able to reach 125%!

Sooo ... why does this seem to be unique to Galaxy ... or is it all 4GB cards ...

Back