Defective GTX 680?

DrexelDragon

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to overclock my Galaxy Geforce GTX 680 GC 4GB. Problem is, I cannot set the power target above 112%, the number I should be able to set it to is around 132%. Any ideas what the problem is? I've tried MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X, and Galaxy's Xtreme Tuner and none will let me set it above 112%. I have tried completely removing Nvidia drivers and reinstalling the latest WQHL and the latest beta drivers and nothing helped.

I may try a complete Windows re-installation later. Anybody see this happen before? Defective card?

Specs:

Galaxy Geforce GTX 680 GC 4GB
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.8 GHZ
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb
Samsung 830 128 GB SSD
Western Digital 320GB HDD
Windows 7 64-Bit

Don't re-flash the BIOS, that is crazy. The power target depends on the card. Not all cards go to 132%. I posted a longer response in your duplicate thread in the Nvidia section.

My 680 lets me go to 138%, though I can never reach above 105% actual tdp usage before the display driver crashes.

Card is limited to 500mhz on the memory and around 150mhz on the core before it crashes. Doesn't even get hot since its on water and runs load at 39c. Each card is different.

Don't re-flash the BIOS, that is crazy. The power target depends on the card. Not all cards go to 132%. I posted a longer response in your duplicate thread in the Nvidia section.

Wait, so now your saying his card cant 132% at all? i tought he know it can but it does not work on his card.

If thats the case, ye no flashing.

I don't think he knows if it can or not. He assumes it can because he thought all cards go to 132%, which isn't the case. It's possible that card is limited to 112%. I guess in theory you could flash a reference BIOS to get the 132% power target, but I don't know how that would actually work in reality, given that his card probably has different power circuitry (which would be why it doesn't do 132% power target in the first place). The only review I saw for the Galaxy 680 GC was [H]'s SLI test, and their card seemed to be limited to 125%, based on the Galaxy Extreme Tuner (or whatever it is called) screenshot.

If the card has custom good quality VRM (non reference) he will never need more then 110%

Back