defective 6700?

bburk1964

n00b
I have something of a puzzle here with a Samsung 48" 6700. If I have the output set to 60 Hz when powered on, it comes up with a black screen. If I have it set to 30 Hz at power on and then switch the output to 60 Hz, it works fine. I have UDH mode on. I am using a DVI to HDMI cable, I don't know if that could be contributing to the problem, but I would think it would either work or not work? I've had this for less than a week, might I have a defective unit? Newest nvidia drivers, win7 with most all updates (minus the win10 nags).

you trying to run this at 4K? dvi to hdmi cable more or less limit you to 1080p 60hz, the amount of bandwidth by SL dvi. if you trying to run 4K at 4:4:4 chroma 60hz, you need to use a true HDMI 2.0 output currently only avail in gtx 9xx. Or active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter.

Or are you just running it right now at 1080p?

I am running it in 4K at 60hz. Everything is working fine other than this black screen on power up. My GPU is not even close to a 9xx, just an old 660ti. I really expected much less from it than it is doing. It is running D3 and Borderlands Pre Sequel just fine at 4K at 60hz. I figured they would be slow & lag badly until I got a new card (which is in the plans when the new ones come out). With most of the settings on high/ultra they play every bit as good as they did at 1080p. The only difference to notice is the GPU fans are running near full vs silent like they do at 1080p. I can try it off the HDMI port to see if that makes a difference. Only reason I was not is that is where the 1080p projector is plugged in atm.

Do you have the hdmi cable plugged into HDMI port #1 on the tv?
This can cause issues if its not on a lot of tv's

This was taken from the manual:

Set Edit Device Type to DVI PC for a computer connected with a HDMI-to-DVI cable, and PC
for a computer connected with HDMI cable. Also, set Edit Device Type to DVI Devices for an A/V device with a HDMI-to-DVI cable.

so are you running this at 30hz? bc gtx 9xx are the only video cards with hdmi2.0..

good thing you can put up with 30hz and the laggy mouse...

I'm running a non-hdmi 2.0 cable on a 4K screen and it outputs 60 hz just fine from a radeon HD 6780. the hdmi cable dosen't matter.
anyways most cables around are highspeed 1.4 hdmi cables. only hdmi 1.0 is the one that dosen't support 4K @60hz

so you must be using chroma 4:2:2 or something sub less than 4:4:4? only HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 can deliver true 4:4:4 4K at 60hz.

I am using a DVI to HDMI cable
+
I am running it in 4K at 60hz
+
just an old 660ti.

I see a lot of barely scraping by, but kepler technically does 4:2:0@4k60hz with an ugly hack. Not surprised that you ran into issues with it though, its not really a valid hdmi 1.4 output even if the input is capable of 2.0

+ +

I see a lot of barely scraping by, but kepler technically does 4:2:0@4k60hz with an ugly hack. Not surprised that you ran into issues with it though, its not really a valid hdmi 1.4 output even if the input is capable of 2.0

I thought the guy is using a DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter as he was stating something about an active adapter in his last post a few posts above this.

I was confused initially too bc he was saying DVI -HDMI adapter in the original post. But then he said in a later post he got an active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0

660ti is capable of 4K max res per NVidia information page (likely over DP 1.2 is probably what they meant). Unless it's misinformation by NVidia to mean at 4:2:0...

Back