Deepfreeze thaw space problem

blarg

Limp Gawd
I got asked to deploy some non domain connected work stations here at work. Without the use of group policy I decided to dig out our old copy of Deepfreeze 5.0

So I used it to create a thaw space partition on the machines and I pointed My Documents and some programs to it for save data. The problem is for some reason deepfreeze only creates the thaw partition half of the time at bootup. So half of the time nothing can be saved to the machines.

Google is comming up short on answers and I don't have budget to buy a new version of deepfreeze does anyone have suggestions?

thanks

edit: To make this story a little stranger this problem is happening on 2 of 17 machines that are identical. All of the machines are Dell Optiplex 360's and all of them were imaged from the same XP image. The only difference between the boxes is their computer name.

Last edited:
Wow am I the only person still using deepfreeze? I knew it was out dated crap but come on.

So on 15 of the 17 computers it works perfectly everytime?

I would uninstall the software and reinstall the software on those 2 machines. Or if you want to be sure - just reformat those machines. Im assuming that you are using the basic verson of the software and not the enterprise version?

So on 15 of the 17 computers it works perfectly everytime?

I would uninstall the software and reinstall the software on those 2 machines. Or if you want to be sure - just reformat those machines. Im assuming that you are using the basic verson of the software and not the enterprise version?

I thought it was only two computers but I was working on those computers yesterday and all of them are doing it.

So a friend of mine gave me a totally different way to lock down XP boxes today. Set the user as a guest and rename the NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN supposedly this makes it work but unable to be edited.

I'm gonna try this out tomorrow and if it works screw deepfreeze.

I use deepfreeze for some clients. For standard edition I resize their hd partitions using gparted. Change my docs settings to look to the second partition. Then install deepfreeze designating the second "non os" partition as thawspace. If your pcs you installing deepfreeze on are not all in the same room or close to each I would find another solution. Standard edition doesn't come with any of the fun scripting options of enterprise so you'll need them to be rebooted thawed and have your scripts scheduled so they can pull all their updates. If you don't care if they get updates just disable all the auto updates you can think of and they should be hassle free.

Back