• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dedicated PhysX - x8/x8?

Deeky

Gawd
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
982
If I were to run a 295 GTX next to a 285 GTX on a GA-EP45-UD3P, would the primary GFX card be reduced to x8? I realize the board reduces the lanes in Xfire, but how does this compare to a dedicated PhysX card and a primary GPU?
 
yes, doesn't matter what you plug in the second slot, it switches both slots to x8/x8.
 
That's what I figured, thanks!

... curious, even if I were to plug a PCI x1 card into the x16? That would still result in x8 for the GPU? Again, I assume yes. Like you said, "doesn't matter".
 
-See my post below for info-

Also, if you plugged in a PCI-E 1x card into the 16x slot, it (and the other port) would still be functioning at 16x, but the card itself will run at 1x.

Hope this helps.


@ NKD: This mobo supports dual PCI-E 2.0 16x slots that run both physically and electrically at 16x.
 
Last edited:
Actually, for this motherboard, both slots stay at 16x, so they would not switch to 8x/8x.

Also, if you plugged in a PCI-E 1x card into the 16x slot, it (and the other port) would still be functioning at 16x, but the card itself will run at 1x.

Hope this helps.


@ NKD: This mobo supports dual PCI-E 2.0 16x slots that run both physically and electrically at 16x.

where you got that information from?

all P45/P35 are 8x/8x mode.... only x38/x48 have 16x/16x
 
where you got that information from?

all P45/P35 are 8x/8x mode.... only x38/x48 have 16x/16x

From here: http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...board&ProductID=2914&ProductName=GA-EP45-UD3P

You might be right, it could be a typo on their part, but it seems correct. ;)


EDIT: I stand corrected.
1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8
(The PCIEx16 and PCIEx8 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
3. 3 x PCI Express x1 slot
4. 2 x PCI slots
 
don't forget it's 8x 2.0 so real close to x16 1.1 bandwith
 
I'm also looking at the ASUS x48 Rampage Formula as a possibility. I'd really prefer x16/x16 as I plan to upgrade to a DX11 single card SLI/Xfire solution w/ the 285 as dedicated PhysX (if only because I'd hate to see it relegated to secondary server box status). It'd be nice to have the option for straight Xfire, too. I'd be running high end cards, not sure what kind of performance decrease I would see with 8x PCI 2.0. $100 more for x48. Seems like a lot for a socket 775 board.
 
Back
Top