Dedicated GPUs for Physics

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I've read couple of articles where people use multiple GPUs and out of which use one single GPU dedicated for physics.

Now SB 2500K and 2600K comes up with integrated GPU. So will it be possible that I use that integrated GPU for physics and the discrete for gaming? If yes what benefit will I have?

Technically, it's possible if someone creates a DirectCompute based physics engine, but there isn't one out yet. And the integrated GPU cannot run PhysX since that's limited to Nvidia hardware. Even if you could get an engine to work on those GPUs, I doubt they'll be powerful enough.

Its limited to nVidia's DX10 graphic card. You need to have a GeForce 8xxx graphic card or newer.

It allows fancy physics simulation in games that supports Physx. Unfortunately there isn't many titles that support it, though I think it has some cool effect in the games that do. The effects are purely cosmetic though, such as clothes that moves when wind blows over it, and tears when being shot at, as well as smokes that reacts to the player moving pass it.

I've heard Cryotasis has some nice effect with it simulating waters, but I've yet to try that game myself. I've only had Mirror Edge.

On the one hand Intel is making discreet graphics nearly obselete on the low end, while Nvidia are moving towards "all in one" gaming cards that would work on virtually ANY COMPUTER, no matter how old using the graphics card for both physics and graphics.

Personally, if i had to pick a winner in that battle..it would probably be Nvidia...who wouldn't want to just buy a GAMING card and never really have to worry about the upgrading the computer for gaming...till it got so old it would barely boot up and do windows tasks??? lol But to really pull that off..the would need to make cards with at least 6G (if not more) of ram...hellacious CPU computing power. Heck the cards could easily cost over $1,000 each....

Ok, maybe i hope they both FAIL.

Back