Decompiling VB?

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an app. That app is coded in visual basic. I want to see how that app interfaces to some hardware.

Is there a good way to decompile the executable and a dll or two that is uses? I understand the code won't be pretty, but it just needs to be intact. Any thoughts?

There are a few programs avalible with mixed level of successfullness.
However, I suspect that revaling them on this site may constitute a violation of the rules. (I dont have links to them avalible anyway)

If you want codeing examples might be a better idea to look for tutorials in the subject area your intrested in that way you will get a step by step introduction to whats attually happening instead of often gibberish results as to whats going on.

Normally I would look online for examples, however, this case is different. I'm trying to control a firewire video camera. The camera was made by one company, rebadged by another. The company that sold it to my lab refuses to provide an SDK and wants to charge me oodles of money for a custom app. And by oodles, I mean more than my lab could ever afford. I wouldn't want one of their apps anyway - considering they code "enterprise level" software in VB and don't do a real good job of it.

The real manufacturer is willing to sell me an SDK for $600, but won't guarantee that it's actually for the camera that I have. If they'd guarantee that it's the right package for my camera, I'd buy it, but without that, I won't. At least, I won't until our lab's fiscal year is up and we have to burn a few bucks.

I have a working TWAIN interface to the camera, but that captures stills way too slowly than a direct interface.

Back