• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Decoding from Mp3 to WAV... better sound?

MattDamen

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Messages
158
I just had a conversation with a friend of mine about decoding from mp3 to WAV. He says that decoding from mp3 to WAV is a waste of time because the Mp3 files are already distorted and will keep the distortion when decoded to WAV and plus WAV is uncompressed so the only thing I am doing is wasting hard drive space. So I was wondering, if what he says is true. And also if it is true, what the best way to get good sound out of my music, or get rid of the distortion, that is naturally in Mp3's? Im not even sure what im saying lol but I think you get the idea.

Or should I just keep with encoding it to FLAC?
 
Your bud is right. The way to get good sound is to record to wav in the first place. The loss with mp3 is not recoverable. Also there are lossless compression formats (flac i think) that will be smaller than wav but still sound good.
 
mp3: lossy format
wav, flac, ape: loseless format

You lose information when recording from CD to mp3 format.

Flac and ape retains all the music data but compresses it to save space. The music is decoded on the fly I believe. No music data is loss.

If you want the absolute best music quality, then go with wav. If you want the best music quality and save HD space then flac, ape or any loseless format.

Majority of the music I listen to on my desktop is in FLAC format. I convert my FLAC to mp3s if I want to listen to that particular type of music on my DAP.
 
I rip everything to wav and store it on a 250 gig firewire drive. I then encode them to AAC when I send files to my iPod.
 
If you convert your MP3 -> WAV, all you're doing is making a 1 to 1 copy of your MP3 file in uncompressed form, so it should sound exactly the same. The only way to get better quality of your music is to rip the CDs or whatever source it is yourself into raw/lossless formats or perhaps using a higher quality lossy format.

Personally, I rip all my CDs using Exact Audio Copy, and then encode that WAV to both FLAC (with flac) and MP3 (with LAME) for desktop listening and my portable player, respectively.
 
Back
Top