Decisions, decisions....

hdgamer

Gawd
Help me out guys.

I currently have like $500 burning a hole in my wallet for upgrades. Currently sick of my system and it's high temps and noisy fans. I want to eithe upgrade my case to a Corsair 800D, my motherboard to the MSI Big Bang LGA 1366, and get a Corsair H70 cooler for my CPU.

Here's my current specs:

Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S
Case fans: Coolermaster green led's (7 total)
Primary HD: 80 Gig Intel SSD Gen 2
Gaming HD: 300 Gig Velociraptor
CPU: I7 920 @ 3.8 no H.T.
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Graphics Cards: 2X GTX 480 Nvidia
Power Supply: Galaxy 1000 Watt
Optical Drive: Sony Bluray

Obviously not looking for "performance" upgrade as nothing new in graphics is king to the 480's and cpu wise I wouldn't utityze anything more right now. My 480's are sandwiched together because my motherboard is 16X16X4X in the PCI slots. I have them in the 16X4X slots right now and don't notice a difference except temperatures on both cards about even now and much more tolerable. Now the bottom card touches my PSU on the bottom causeing my PSU to heat up and blow out hot air from the back as well.

So my question to you guys is what would be the best upgrade under $500 to quiet my case and make things run cooler?

1)get rid of the v8 and move to a better air cooler or an h70
2) Considering you have two gtx 480s in sli, don't get an 800D. Get a case with better aircooling capability.

I'd get an FT02/RV02 and swap the v8 for a better air-cooler or an h70

Your gonna have an Easy-Bake-Oven if you stick those cards in to an 800D. Everyone raves about the FT02. I was gonna get one, but on an impulse went with the HAF X instead. IMO it is a great case; very cool, fairly quiet, good value.

Well looks like I'll be getting a FT02 with the MSI Big Bang motherboard and h70 cpu cooler. It's gonna cost about $200 more then I can afford but that's what credit is for I guess... hehe

Thanks for pointing out the FT02. I didn't know what it was until I read some reviews. Glad I'm going with that instead the 800D. :)

Well looks like I'll be getting a FT02 with the MSI Big Bang motherboard and h70 cpu cooler. It's gonna cost about $200 more then I can afford but that's what credit is for I guess... hehe

Thanks for pointing out the FT02. I didn't know what it was until I read some reviews. Glad I'm going with that instead the 800D. :)

If you can, try to get the red edition as it comes with the upgraded fans.

Back