Decision time...

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
HTC One, or Nexus 4? The build quality of the One looks much, much higher, but the N4 will have faster OS releases. What's your take on the options?

I have an N4. I agree that the quality is not on par with the HTC One, but the ability to run what I want on the phone is a pretty nice benefit. I am a casual customizer who needs all of the phones abilities to work without question (bluetooth, wifi, phone, etc...) and does not want to spend the time chasing the perfect ROM. I am newish to Android, so my limited knowledge my influence this decision as well.

I dont have to find out how to disable blink feed if I dont like it and I wont have to hunt/wait for the one ROM that does what I want. I dont loose space to awesom pre-installed software by the carrier either.

I am thinking my N4 will get me along just fine until the N5 comes out. I might be a bit envious of the aluminum chassis, but again, full access to the phone wins my vote. I would rather build on the base of stock Android rather than stripping away things that I dont want/need. YMMV.

Want/need any type of reasonable battery life? HTC One
Want LTE? HTC One
Want 1080p screen? HTC One

Want to spend half the money? Nexus 4

What carrier are you on?
The moment KLP comes out is the moment you wish you had an Nexus 4 if you decide on HTC One.
The HTC One is a quality phone but you won't get KLP for a long long time....

N4 for me since I like to tinker, but I'd recommend the One for those that ask (who generally are less techie).

but as soon as development picks up for the One, I'd have no problems switching over.
KLP will probably be a few weeks, maybe a month late, but if you were on a vz gnex, you've already developed a patience for late updates lol.

If you let me choose both at the same price (or relatively close) I'd pick the HTC One. Even if I did regret this I could just resell it and pick up a N4. The HTC One is ahead in terms of generation and it does show.

If you were to actually have me buy one given my circumstances I'd pick the N4 as the price gap is huge since I buy off contract with no subsidy.

I actually like the build quality and design of the N4 however. In general I prefer the more "natural" glass type look over "industrial." (this is the same problem I have with Win 8 aesthetics compared to Win 7 due to the lack of aero glass and flattened designed. but this another topic all together :p) The overall phone feels pretty solid although the buttons could be tighter. I thought in general the build quality of the N4 was considered very good?

Reasons to get the One:
-More than 16GB storage
-LTE
-Better camera, better build quality, faster CPU, better screen
-Back isn't made of glass
-Subsidized pricing on Sprint and AT&T (though AT&T model has a locked bootloader)
-Front facing speakers

Reasons to get the Nexus:
-About half the full price of the One
-Stock Android
-Faster updates
-Larger dev community
-Probably will be supported longer

Tough choice if you're paying subsidized price for the One. If you're paying full retail, I'd definitely get the Nexus 4.

Both phones have some design issues that I don't particularly care for.

It comes down if you need extra storage, LTE, and possibly a better camera and willing to pay a lot more?

HTC One, or Nexus 4? The build quality of the One looks much, much higher, but the N4 will have faster OS releases. What's your take on the options?

I think I could use a N4 without a case. I know I can't use a One without a case. I'm tired of using cases.

I think I could use a N4 without a case. I know I can't use a One without a case. I'm tired of using cases.

The Nexus 4 has a fragile glass back and is pretty slippery. You probably want to use a case.

As soon as Android 5.0 comes out this Summer, you'll sure wish you owned the Nexus 4 and not a HTC One, running an out of date, old OS.

The Nexus 4 has a fragile glass back and is pretty slippery. You probably want to use a case.

Hah, yeah, I would use the One without a case way before I would use a N4 without one. When you see people crack the glass on the N4 from 2 inches or from just sitting it on a cold surface, you know that's one fragile mofo.

new os and older hardware
or new hardware and older os?
(when next version of android comes out)

not sure which is the better option...
but when you factor in the prices, i do know that i can get the htc one subsidized for $100, because i got in on that trade in credit before the stopped it. thats a smokin hot deal.

Last edited:
Hah, yeah, I would use the One without a case way before I would use a N4 without one. When you see people crack the glass on the N4 from 2 inches or from just sitting it on a cold surface, you know that's one fragile mofo.

The N4's back glass can be replaced. The One's can't be. Looking at the in store units the back will get scratched up.

The N4's back glass can be replaced. The One's can't be. Looking at the in store units the back will get scratched up.

The point is that if you use the N4 without a case, then you're almost asking for the back glass to break given how fragile it is. Shattered glass is a lot more grating to see than a marred aluminum finish (to me at least) and replacing it doesn't really fix the issue of it being too fragile. I wasn't exaggerating either; You can shatter the glass from 2 inches or from gently laying it on a cold countertop. Both of those guys claim to be very careful and protective of their phones and still got the glass cracked on their N4s.

I'm not saying to get the One over the N4 though. I think I would rather have the N4 if full retail price were a factor. But I am saying if you get a N4, you should definitely put a case on it.

The point is that if you use the N4 without a case, then you're almost asking for the back glass to break given how fragile it is. Shattered glass is a lot more grating to see than a marred aluminum finish (to me at least) and replacing it doesn't really fix the issue of it being too fragile. I wasn't exaggerating either; You can shatter the glass from 2 inches or from gently laying it on a cold countertop. Both of those guys claim to be very careful and protective of their phones and still got the glass cracked on their N4s.

I'm not saying to get the One over the N4 though. I think I would rather have the N4 if full retail price were a factor. But I am saying if you get a N4, you should definitely put a case on it.

The N4 now has nubs which prevent the glass back from touching a flat surface. As for dropping a phone, it depends on how it's dropped and the quality of the glass before it was dropped. My girlfriend's girlfriend dropped her N4 from a counter top on to a wooden floor. No damage.

Looks like the One has already been rooted, so that won't really be a factor.

That's only part of the battle. You'll still be waiting on kernel source and RIL. RIL is what takes the longest.

HTC 1 is way better. Battery lasts longer and the screen & camera are superior.

If money is not a factor, the One easily. The One is better in every technical aspect.

The N4 is an excellent bargain though. If both were priced similarly, hands down I'd go with the One.
Factor in cost, and custom ROMs and it does become a much tougher decision.

Come Google I/O next month, and Android 5.0 KLP release, sure happy I have a Nexus 4, over the One & S4.

The Nexus 4 will be running the brand new next generation OS, where as the One and S4 will be running old outdated software from last year. No thanks.

Be lucky to see HTC and Samsung update their flagship phones to Key Lime Pie anytime soon, most likely 6 months afterwards, and will still be Senseless and TouchJizz based UI's :rolleyes:

The Nexus 4 will be running the brand new next generation OS, where as the One and S4 will be running old outdated software from last year. No thanks.

While the Nexus will have a higher software version number, which phone will have more software features? We often forget, while trashing ORM skins, what they bring to the table. When did stock Android get lockscreen shortcuts? It was in 4.0, right? HTC added them in 2.3. (Samsung was backwards and added them in 4.1). Now that I have Smart Stay (love this feature), I would hate going without it. Do you use T9 dialing at all? You can't on a Nexus without a custom dialer.

Bottom line is that the manufacturers attempt to make up for the OS update delay by providing extra features often now found in stock Android. Most OEM skins were absolute failures, but Touchwiz and Sense have often been at the forefront (and treated like Coke and Pepsi in their fanbases). When I was on my HTC Incredible, I find CM7 a tough pill to swallow because of what I liked in Sense on the stock ROM.

That's why I don't want to "upgrade" from my SGS2 to an N4 right now. Going from Android 4.1 to 4.2 adds very little, but going from Nature UX to stock 4.2 subtracts a lot. So just remember, there is more to it than the Android version number. Hell, how many people slam Google for using outdated Linux kernels in their versions of Android? You do realize that almost every version of Android released was on an outdated kernel, right?

Without more information, it's impossible to determine which phone is best for your needs.

Both phones highlight vastly different selling points that cater to different crowds.

Yes, the Nexus 4 will receive faster OS updates and will probably have much more development in the long-run, but how important is that to you?

Is picture-taking ability important to you? If so, the One vastly outclasses the lackluster camera on the Nexus 4 in this department.

Questions such as these need to be addressed before anyone can begin a fair assessment of which phone best fits YOU. There is no clear cut black/white answer of which phone is better, unfortunately.

FWIW, I wussed out an got an S4. I was eyeballing the DNA, but figured the S4 would have better resale value. And yes, I'm going back to Verizon. Their service seems to be more reliable then AT&T or T-Mobile where I live.

Back