Decision on Soundcard

Langly

Supreme [H]ardness
all right im looking for a new soundcard. I just got rid of my soundblaster audigy eX platinum because i sold it with my old computer. Now heres my dilema. the soundstorm audio SUCKS on my Abit NF7-S. I really really REALLY need to find a good card that is under $100 and can handle my Logitech z560's well. Input?

What exactly do you mean by well?

Why not try the Audigy 2. Can not go wrong with those.

Well, if you listen to music mostly, I'd recommend a Chaintech AV710. It's only $25, and is superior to the Audigys in sound quality. The Audigy cards have a very bad resampling algorithm, and the DACs suck. However, if you are a gamer, the Audigy2 ZS is your best bet, as it has better EAX support. You can also run more than one soundcard, one for gaming and one for music. You can find out more info at head-fi.org "computers-as-source" forum.

thank you guys for the input. I mostly listen to music and stuff but game sound quality is important to me as well. the reason i decided i needed a new soundcard for this current rig was because i was watching dvd's and the sound quality was horrible compared to what it used to be.

I think ill get an audigy 2 thanks to all of you for the advice!

With the 560's, or any desktop speakers, you will be hard pressed to differentiate between soundcards. Audigy for games, Envy (Chaintec, M-Audio) for music.

I just recently upgraded to an Audigy 2 ZS over an Audigy 1. I have the Logitech Z-560 speakers and I have to say the thing is badass for gaming. I would recommend the setup to anyone.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I just recently upgraded to an Audigy 2 ZS over an Audigy 1. I have the Logitech Z-560 speakers and I have to say the thing is badass for gaming. I would recommend the setup to anyone.

I also have the A2ZS/Z560 setup, and it is very nice for games. Nothing like pumping up the volume and hearing grenade explosions from every side. I say go for the A2 ZS, you won't be disappointed.

I've read that the A2ZS is good for gaming, but the M-Audio Revo kickass everywhere else, and it has true 24-bit/192kbps encoding, whereas Audigy2ZS series is somewhat false, and still uses 16-bit/128kbps (I'm not too sure the details, someone can back up this statement).

I'm using an M-audio, which is not as good for gaming, but I also like listening to music and watching DVD's, which the Revo is absolutely spectacular on my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras.

The only reason I'd get an A2ZS is if I desired that front panel. The choice is yours.

Good luck.

Eww an Audigy. Nice for gaming but nothing else IMO.
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3616
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3225
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1143
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10

After spending time with my friends Audigy 2 Platinum and a pair of Klipsch 5.1 speakers I can't ever bring myself to buy a Creative card for music. I can't believe how bad the music was but what suprised me was the fact that he didn't hear it. It was like listening to 128 MP3 when I know his MP3s where 320. Right now I'm using my Soundstorm hooked to headphones but I see a Chaintech AV710 coming this month. Can't recommend the M-Audio card either- horrible driver support/ haven't been updated in a while, I would recommend an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 if you can find it, best out there before having to go with something like an Delta 410.

If you dont mind buying used stuff from e-bay I would suggest and M-Audio Firewire 410. I have one and its sick: 24bit/192khz Playback, Recording plus 7.1 Sourund, SPDIF in/out, Midi in/out, 2 Pro Mics in/out.

Edit: this post was inappropriate behavior by myself and as such it has been removed.

I'm surprised no one complained about bloatware, a "major" problem with creative stuff

By hard pressed, X86, I mean being someone like you, which I find rare :). Not a bad thing, just trying to generalize the point such that the post was useful for the thread starter, for otherwise I wouldn't post (if my post wasn't useful to SOMEONE else).

Oh, and it's nice to see you correcting up again, X86. Been rather annoyed at finding no other forum like this one out there, and it's posts like yours that make it this way.

I actually have the Chaintech AV710 and Audigy2ZS, and the Chaintech just sounds better to me. The audigy2 ZS sounds bloated to me. I use Foobar2k with kernel streaming & winamp. Maybe it's just a placebo effect from hearing all the negative comments on the Audigys from head-fi, and my previous hatred towards Creative for their crappy drivers that didnt like SMP systems. I honestly dont know a lot about sound cards, I'm just going by what I hear from others (people who I thought knew a lot about hifi, If X86 says they are wanna-bes, I believe him), and what sounds best to me. About the bloatware comment, you can choose to install "drivers only" on the new install disks. It still puts a AOL icon on your desktop, and a link in IE bookmarks though, which is annoying, but they can be deleted. Then theres always the KX third-party drivers, although they dont support EAX yet.

wow this thread has exploded into a plethra of goodness.
If i could find someone locally with any of the non soundblaster soundcards then i would go and listen to them and guage my opinions off of that but ive been a creative man for the past 7 years and i just love the software they give and how easy the cards are to use. and since i have heard a ton of praise about the audigy 2zs i will more then likely buy one because my audigy one was just awesome in my book. now i just gotta figure out how to clean up this rats nest of cableing in my computer box.

Get an Audigy LS if you're going to stick with your Z-560s for a while. The Audigy 2 ZS would be a waste of money.

The A2 is a very good card. Specifically if you are using the analog outs.

I've recently had the oppurtunity to test 3 cards in my system (well actually 2 + Soundstorm)

My Current setup is as follows:

Abit NF7-S (Soundstorm).
Revo 7.1
Audigy 2 ZS

Output to a Denon 1802 Receiver (and a Pioneer VSX-D712) With Paradigm Studio 100s as my mains (Yay just got these not too long ago, pretty damn nice speakers) a pair of Paradigm surrounds (don't remember the models atm, I'm tired) and some yammah fronts.

On the NF7-S I'm using a TOSLINK 1m monster cable (optical)
The Revo 7.1 I'm using a 1m coax digital cable (rat shack baby!)
Audigy 2 is the same cable as the Revo + an adaptor to covert it to the 1/8th inch plug for the digital out on the A2.

After doing some extensive testing (and getting friends in on some of the action) these are some of my opinions and/or observations.

Music

The music I tested was either directly off CD or FLAC/APE. All files where playted in Foobar2000 with Kernel Streaming, output bits where 32(16 for soundstorm), no noise shaping at all(except for soundstorm which use Strong ATH), and no DSP effects other than volume control.

The Revo 7.1 hands down wins in the music department. The sound coming out is as close to reference as I can hear. The bass is tight and not overly boomy, the highs are a bit bright (which could just be my speakers) but not uncomfortably bright, and the mids are clear and concise(?? :p). The sound stage was perfect. I.E. Classical music had a bit more of a frontal stage to it.

The A2 comes in second. I couldn't for the life of me get the bass down to what I would consider a resonable level. It always felt too boomy even with bass redirection off. Otherwise things sounded quite clear

The Soundstorm audio sounded the worst, mainly because it had the most boomy of bass (I'm not a big bass head, even though I listen to a wide range of electronic music).

Movies

Not much to say about movies. Pretty much standard fair across the board. With the A2 and Soundstorm exhibiting a slightly boomier bass.

Games

When it came down to games, I was quite surprised here. I'd give top marks to the Soundstorm for 1 major major reason. It's ability to encode into 5.1 This makes an AMAZING difference when you are ouputting to a digital receiver.

Played some Thief 3, FarCry, UT2k4 to name a few games. All of which sounded incredible on the Soundstorm (positional audio wise).

The A2s forte was in games that have EAX3/4(HD). Effects like occlutions, and such sound pretty real, but without the added 5.1 positional audio It was a bit of a meh experience.

Likewise for the Revo :).

Right now the way I have it setup is the Revo is used for music/movie playback, and the Soundstorm for gaming, and the A2 has been retired from the system :)

Hmmm, I wanted a soundstorm setup for my HTPC for that exact reason. But since decided on just using an A1 with digi coax because I had it- mostly pointless to use anything else fo rwhat I'm doing. And X86, while your post was out of the scope, heck, it's not like it doesn't need to be said every once and a while. I enjoy reading experienced and mostly objective criticism, helps keep everything in check :-p

Me either..... I always hated those type of baseless recommendations. But someone suggested that those type of replies may not sit well with my new status and everything. ;)

Yes, it seems you've been upgraded, congratulations. I look foreward to being moderated by you :-p

lol.
Thanks.
I expect the only thing that will change around here is Dale will get fewer PMs and I will have to tone it down a little. :)

Back