Deciding on upgrade

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
My current gaming machine is an e6420 @3.2ghz, 4gb DDR2 and an HD4870 with standard 7200 RPM drives.

Im looking to spend $400 and am unsure how i want to go.

I could buy an i5, new motherboard and 6gb of DDR3 or i could go with a 775 quad core and an SSD.

Not sure which way offers more bank for the buck, any opinions?

Which tasks are you seeking a performance boost in? That will help us narrow down your best options.

If you can't find a good deal on a good, used Socket 775 quad-core, you may as well wait for Sandy Bridge to arrive (on or around January 5) before you consider upgrading the processor and/or motherboard.

An SSD will run faster than any SATA drive, but the good ones that we often recommend here cost over $150.

Which tasks are you seeking a performance boost in? That will help us narrow down your best options.

If you can't find a good deal on a good, used Socket 775 quad-core, you may as well wait for Sandy Bridge to arrive (on or around January 5) before you consider upgrading the processor and/or motherboard.

An SSD will run faster than any SATA drive, but the good ones that we often recommend here cost over $150.

Honestly just general overall performance. Whatever i do now i plan on upgrading my video card this tax season.

I have a hard time believing i can swing a sandy bridge CPU, mobo and ram for $400.

Honestly just general overall performance. Whatever i do now i plan on upgrading my video card this tax season.

I have a hard time believing i can swing a sandy bridge CPU, mobo and ram for $400.

If you have such a hard time with Sandy Bridge, you will not believe this: Nearly all of the "new" Socket LGA 775 quad-core CPUs cost much more money than their performance justifies at this point. Unless you buy such a CPU used, buying a new 775 quad-core is now a waste of money.

If you have such a hard time with Sandy Bridge, you will not believe this: Nearly all of the "new" Socket LGA 775 quad-core CPUs cost much more money than their performance justifies at this point. Unless you buy such a CPU used, buying a new 775 quad-core is now a waste of money.

Its not that i have a problem its that on a $400 budget I dont need to be a psychic to realize it will be outside of my budget.

Why would i buy a 775 CPU new? Even if i did i would not have to buy a new motherboard or new ram.

Do you run a lot of progams that utilize more than 2 cores? If so, get a used quad and OC it to 3.5Ghz. If not, just get a higher clockable dual core, like a used E7500, and OC to 4Ghz; then get an SSD. The 60GB Sandforce drives have been going for $100-$125 lately, and that'll probably be the single, most noticeable upgrade you do to boost overall general performance.

Back