Deciding on getting a Fortron

DigitalisAkujin

Limp Gawd
I'm deciding on a power supply and right now I'm basically set on a Fortron 400W from Newegg for 68.50 and 6.99 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-974&depa=1

And since this is [H] I kinda want some thoughts from you guys cause there's nothing more powerfull then the opinion of a few hundred [H]'ers when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I'm currently using an Vantec 420 watt Stealth and it's just becoming WAY too noisy and hot. It's especially annoying cause I use a webcam for my microphone for gaming and the thing just makes way too much background noise which the webcam easily picks up with it's sensitive microphone.

So basically I'm looking for a quite, cheap, and powerfull solution (Don't we all).

Anywho here are my system specs....

//Hardware
A7V600X-X
2600+ 266 FSB (runs at 2.133 which is normal for the 266 version)
768 PC 2700
Geforce Ti4200 8x PNY
WD 80 Gig 7200 RPM
WD 40 Gig 7200 RPM
WD 120 Gig SATA 7200 RPM
Sony DRU120A DVD+-RW (8x2.4.x2.4) (32x12x10)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Floppy....

//Modware
Two UV light cathodes.
Thermalright SLK-97 with Aluminum 80mm fan.
80mm fan on the back.
(2) 80mm fans in front

[Case is open on one side always]

//Possible future upgrades
ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro for HL2 of course

Well, I would describe that power supply as quiet, cheap, and powerful myself, so I think you are making the right choice. Fortron has a long-established reputation for solid power supplies, and from all reports I've read, it continues with this one.

edit: Looking at NewEgg again, I also suggest looking at the FSP400-60PNU-R1 with the 120 mm fan. You get another 3 amps on the 12 volt rail, which is nice because the 12 volt line is being used more and more lately. Of course, the 120 mm fan will be quiet running and an effective means of airflow for your power supply components.

Hmm sounds good. I might go with it. I could just close my case and get a hell of a lot less heat coming out of the case with no external fan on it.

Back