Deciding between two 939 boards

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
I know that this kind of thing has been asked a bunch lately, but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

I'm going to be putting together a new system later in the week. For my upgrade I'm looking to get either the Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 or the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. They are both nForce 3 Socket 939 boards. I thought I was going to get the MSI board when it ships this week, but after reading some comments on the MSI Socket 754 NEO board I am having second thoughts. I have used nothing but Asus boards for the last four years so I am out of the loop as far as other manufacturers go.

I basically would like to know which board manufacturer offers the best system stability, build quality, and customer/RMA support. I'm not going to overclock and price is not a factor. I basically want something that's going to work well with minimal fuss. I'm currently leaning in the direction of the Gigabyte board, but I figured I would ask for some opinions before I place the order on Monday.

Thanks in advance.

Im in the same boat, though Ive only used Abit boards the past few years. I wont go anywhere near a VIA board, so Gigabyte and MSI are my only two choices as well.

The Gigabyte board doesnt have as many voltage options that I like (terrible memory voltage), is $40 more, and doesnt overclock as well. However I havent really heard anything bad about its quality.

The MSI board isnt even out yet, and wont be for another week and a half at least, but it supposedly overclocks better and has better options. My last MSI board (a kt266) managed to catch fire for some reason, so Im really hoping their quality has improved. Unfortunately it really isnt possible to tell until more people get their hands on the board.

Think I'll just wait two weeks and see what others say about it.

Kovalen said:
Im in the same boat, though Ive only used Abit boards the past few years. I wont go anywhere near a VIA board, so Gigabyte and MSI are my only two choices as well.

The Gigabyte board doesnt have as many voltage options that I like (terrible memory voltage), is $40 more, and doesnt overclock as well. However I havent really heard anything bad about its quality.

The MSI board isnt even out yet, and wont be for another week and a half at least, but it supposedly overclocks better and has better options. My last MSI board (a kt266) managed to catch fire for some reason, so Im really hoping their quality has improved. Unfortunately it really isnt possible to tell until more people get their hands on the board.

Think I'll just wait two weeks and see what others say about it.

Overclocking is a nonissue for me, although the lack of options for setting RAM voltage bothers me a little bit as well. The MSI rep I emailed with (as well as the MSI website) indicates that the NEO2 will be hitting retail this coming week. Money is not a factor, I just want a rock solid system.

So, opinions on general MSI vs Gigabyte quality anyone?

Well, ermm

I would like to tell you to get the gigabyte simply becuase i have one :) but seeing as how no one i've heard from has the MSI can't comment on it. Only thing you have to guide you are reviews from hardware sites. Also, if the MSI isn't availible anywhere, it kinda makes the choice easy...

I have heard some ppl call the 754 Neo a pice of crap though but doesn't follow the neo2 will be.

Ver said:
Well, ermm

I would like to tell you to get the gigabyte simply becuase i have one :) but seeing as how no one i've heard from has the MSI can't comment on it. Only thing you have to guide you are reviews from hardware sites. Also, if the MSI isn't availible anywhere, it kinda makes the choice easy...

I have heard some ppl call the 754 Neo a pice of crap though but doesn't follow the neo2 will be.

True, but the best predictor of the future is the past :)

(That said, I can wait a week if I really do decide to get the MSI)

I'm in the same situation.....won't touch a VIA board, have used only Asus boards for the last 6 years, etc. I lean towards the Gigabyte board, but the mem. voltage options are terrible. Guess I'll wait a bit to see what, if any problems, users have with the MSI board.

I like gigabyte way more then I do MSI. All of my gigabyte boards have been really good stable and fast at stock speeds. Gigabyte is just not a real overclocking board, but man do they run stable...

I have the Gigabyte board and can't get my Corsair TwinX-1024-3200XL memory to work in dual channel.

I can run either of the two DIMM's, but once I put in both, its blue-screen city!

I have tried increasing the RAM voltage and messing with the timings (may need some help here!), but overall I am not sure whether to blame the motherboard or the memory. :confused:

I just switched over from many generations of Asus/Intel platform, so this type of instability is almost unheard of for my systems. :( I am just used to plugging in and having everything work! Is that too much to ask? ;)

Back