Decided to get back in

Tawnos

2[H]4U
Been a long time, but I added one box for folding. With winter coming I figured I could save on heating and use my computer by giving [H] more D :).

I'm only two cores and a GPU, but hey, every bit counts, right? Maybe tomorrow I'll check IT's policy regarding running such apps on my extra machines when they're not in use.

Welcome back!

What are the specs on your rig? Much has changed and we might be able to help you tweek the config to get max ppd if you want.

In any case, welcome back into the fold. :cool:

Welcome back!

What are the specs on your rig? Much has changed and we might be able to help you tweek the config to get max ppd if you want.

In any case, welcome back into the fold. :cool:

Intel E8400, Geforce 8800 GTS 512, 4GB ram (3.5 accessible until I move this box to Win7 x64 (or win8 as the builds come out >.>... FAH GPU client would be good stability testing ;) ))
Currently running the GPU and SMP clients.

Are you running SMP in windows? You might see better performance, with a VM and the linux client.

Yeah, running SMP in windows. Not going to go to the hassle of a virtual machine to run a guest OS on my main OS. Without evidence to the contrary I would performance gains, if any, to be minimal.

Also added my PS3 to the [H]orde last night. Amazing how much warmer the office was this morning - finally got the yeast going in the mead I'm making. The house had been too cold, prior :D.

arent PS3's great? Mine heats my bedroom lol

mines heating my office..... heh

Welcome back

Folding using notfreds client inside a VM (a very nice package pre-made) give a substantial boost in ppd. 50% or so If I remember.
The linux client (notfreds is built around it) is able to use the A2 core and is much faster. They have never been able to get A2 stable in windows.

Folding using notfreds client inside a VM (a very nice package pre-made) give a substantial boost in ppd. 50% or so If I remember.
The linux client (notfreds is built around it) is able to use the A2 core and is much faster. They have never been able to get A2 stable in windows.

Interesting. I'm managing to keep my CPUs quite busy as it is. At the worst I could run two instances of the single core and set the affinity to each core. However, it appears that the SMP client is working currently. Even if it crashes, I have the GPU one running in the background.

I just started yesterday myself...basically I tried a few months back and didn't have the time to really do the research and figure how to get things running properly, so I put it on hold. The night before (Wed) I was running F@h on the Ps3 and told myself to spend time yesterday while goofing off at work :D and figure out the ins and outs.

Ended up installing it on my work rig (built + owned by me so it's OK)...just on the cpu here (E2200 @ 2.77ghz), G31 board so trying to fold on the gpu would be worthless. ;) Got home last night, installed it on both home rigs cpu and gpu...primary Q9450 @ 3.6, 4830 gpu (have 2, but since they're CF'd I can only run F@h on one AFAIK)...secondary E8400 @ stock, 8800GT gpu. Plus the Ps3 was going last night too. :)

I can't believe how fast the 8800GT folds. Once the new nVidia cards come out early next year, I'm going to buy one and replace the 4830's with it.
I have all 3 computers Folding all the time; I've been happy with the client set on idle, and not had any performance hits so I'll leave them running 100% until I have problems (if I ever do).

see how easy it is, and ask around, I'm sure people here would love to help square you away if you need
Welcome to the team guys! Glad to have ya!!

Interesting. I'm managing to keep my CPUs quite busy as it is. At the worst I could run two instances of the single core and set the affinity to each core. However, it appears that the SMP client is working currently. Even if it crashes, I have the GPU one running in the background.

Don't worry, the addiction will hit you soon enough and you'll be all over the free extra PPD moving to the LinSMP goodness. :D

But in the mean time, welcome back!

mmmm it's finally starting to cool off here in so cal so I think it's time to retake about 10 positions ;) and clear up that overtake chart!

Back