Decent Wireless Adapter

nonis

n00b
I'm looking for a decent and cheap PCI wireless adapter. I prefer wired, but I have to use wireless lately. I got a cheap-ass usb card that failed miserably for free. Then I ordered a Gigabyte GN-WP01GS from newegg for it's favorable reviews. But apparently nobody uses it for gaming, because I get some bad packet loss. (Like 15-25%). It's ridiculous! My roommate has a wireless adapter built into his mobo and gets 0% packet loss, so I know it's me. I've tried a higher powered antenna on the card too. I get a great signal, just unreliable.

I'm also on Windows 7. I've heard that the new Zero Configuration type thing for Windows 7 causes packet loss sometimes, but I haven't been able to fix it.

Anyone either know how to fix packet loss on Windows 7 or a card that won't have so much?

you probably need to go in and tweak the settings.. make sure packet bursting is supported on the wireless nic you have.. theres actually a lot of things you can do to fine tune a wireless nic..

nic is the card, correct? How can I change said settings for the card? It does not have a utility program with it.

Right click on the network connection, properties, then there is a button next to the cards name that says "Configure"

Click that
Change settings.
Profit

I have the following options in the Advanced tab of the configuration for the card:

B/G Protection
Country Region 11A
Country Region 11G
Frame Aggregation
IEEE802.11h
Radio On/Off
ReceiveBuffers
TransmitBuffers

I've tried changing all the options except for the Country Region ones. Nothing removes the packet loss. Also, I tried the card in another computer and it has no packet loss whatsoever. The key differences I see between the two computers are Windows 7 vs. XP and 64 vs 32 bit. So, it's not the card, it's the software. Has anyone else had packet loss problems on Windows 7?

In fact, on this same build I just tested the wireless connection under linux. I get 0 packet loss. So it's definitely windows 7. Is there some known problem with Win7 RC and packet loss?

Back