Decent Subwoofer?

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
1,487
I have set up my PC for music and games as follows: X-Fi XtremeMusic>EMU 0404 USB via coax digital>Audiolab 8000A integrated amp>Energy RC-1 speakers and Monsoon sub. The Monsoon sub is from my Planar9 speakers and is not very good, too much midrange and rattles at loud volumes, too flabby also. My Klipsch computer sub is much better but also rattles at loud volume and is too awkward to set up as the control pod is attached to the speaker. The Monsoon sub is much easier to set up.

This leads me to my question about subs. I know Velodyne is highly rated for subs and that is what I am leaning towards. Thing is I really like tight punchy bass so not sure if their subs will fit my taste. Where I live I am sort of limited to what I can buy locally. My choices are these manufacturers, Energy, Klipsch, JBL, and Velodyne. Well, I may have more choices than that but not much and those are the companies I consider worth my time to consider when it comes to subs. I know there are other companies that make good subs but if I can't buy it locally then they are useless to me.

One issue is that I live in an apartment and the Energy sub has a downward firing port so I don't think it would be a good idea to have the bass going through the floor into my neighbours apartment. I will probably mount the sub onto a concrete block to help alleviate this issue too. Because of this I expect Energy subs are out of the equation. What do you think is the best out of my choices? My budget is up to $600.00 CAD.
 
tight punchy bass in your budget = three choices two are canadian

HSU or

Totem and Paradigm both are Canadian.
 
I used to have Paradigm Export Monitor reference speakers years ago and they did have the type of bass I like. They were actually the second pair of Paradigm speakers I had owned. I don't know if I can get them locally though. Totem I have seen at A&B sound but don't know if they carry their subs. Will look into it. I did see they have a small pair of Totem satellite speakers and they wanted over $2,000.00 CAD for them. I can't believe they are $1,500.00 better than my Energy RC-1's but didn't audition them as they were out of my budget so I could be wrong. That brand may be out of my budget.
 
I just checked A&B Sound and the cheapest Totem sub is $900.00 CAD so as I expected they are out of my budget.

OK, found a local dealer with a Paradigm PS1000 for $699.00. Need to check some reviews and then go audition it. Bit over my budget but that is ok.
 
dude, ever hear of audiogon? you can search by zip code and there are plenty of canadians. you could probably get away with $500 or less for a used one.
 
Buy a TC 10" OEM and a cheap amp from diymobileaudio.com about 1000 RMS would be plenty, then throw it in a nice small box and you will have one REALLY nice subwoofer. That will sound REally clan and SLAM HARD and will be less than 600 CND.

www.tcsounds.com

N/M they are out of stock. A TC1000 or 2000 or hell 3000 would work well too. They are also going to start selling some subs with amps and enclosures but I htink they cost a bit more.

edit: here it is, a bit much, TC10 OEM was actualy a much better deal at $170 shipped....But I have no doubt this sub will amaze!
http://www.tcsounds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=957
 
dude, didn't I already say it has to be available locally? Pay attention.

And to the other guy. Too much work and is not available locally. Thanks anyway.

Anyways, did some researching on price of PS1000 and I now know the $699.00 price is the manufacturer's suggested price so if they don't bargain with me then it will be a no-sale. I will go down and audition it and use my bargaining skills if I really want it. One other store sells it here but they are out of stock for two weeks and they said it should cost around $575.00. In Vancouver I see people saying you can get it for about $500.00 new. I have two subs sitting right here so it's not like I am in any rush. I will get exactly what I want and at the price I want too.

Thanks for the suggestions and being my sounding board.
 
me? I said audiogon has local searches aka zip code or whatever Canadians use for area code.

Totem and Paradigm are Canadian. What else did I not miss then? lol
 
Oh, sorry. I thought Audiologon was an online store front. Never did search for Audiologon because I wasn't paying enough attention to what you said. :p

But as I said. I have found both Totem and Paradigm locally but Totem is too much and the Paradigms are at a bad price. There are no other stereo stores here that I can check out. I don't want used either.
 
ah yes, new the Totems are more $$ than you want to spend. IF you can find a used Storm sub get it though. I really think used is your best optio for getting a bitchin sub.
 
lol that is actually hard to do and most all warranties are transferrable. at the high end level most folks keep their receipts/boxes and register the warranty. I have not bought a new piece of audio equipment in 6 years.
 
The likelihood of someone having a Storm sub for sale around here is very slim to none. I'm guessing none. I could exapand my budget for one but would rather not. Is Totem really excellent? Their prices suggest so.
 
Considering I live in an apartment I don't want a sub that has to be played at louder volumes to be heard. Does this Storm fit that purpose?
 
Yup. It's a fine little box. Tiny, tiny really but it puts out smooth tones to be sure. Mind you, it's a musical sub first and HT sub second. So it is fast and punchy but does not go down past 28 hz which is fine b/c you don't want to piss off the neighbors. I am certain that you could audition one somewhere there.
 
OK, the Paradigm PS1000 is out of the equation because I read at the AVS forums it is really only good for HT. It is not a musical sub at all. Yesterday I listened to Energy and Velodyne subs. Don't like the Velodynes, again, they are only suitable for HT. The Energy sub was much tighter and costs less too. I guess the downward firing port is no big deal as the driver is still forward firing. I went to listen to Totem Storm and the salesman couldn't get the setup working so am going back today as he said he would have it set up correctly for me. This sub insterest me the most as it is designed for music and small satellites like I have.

I have found a Canadian dealer for HSU also and am very interested in the STF-2 at $549.50. How does this compare to the Totem Storm? I would have to buy the HSU unheard and have it shipped from Toronto so I have to make sure it suits my purpose. From what I am reading around the web it does.

They want $1,030.00 for the Storm and I see it retails for $1,100.00 so they will have to drop their price a bit if they want a sale.

Here is where to buy HSU subs in Canada.

http://www.hi-fidelity.com/hsu.htm
 
I just looked closer at the photos and the HSU STF series use a downward firing driver. I live in an aprtment so can't have that.
 
Damn. I really think the storm is the best for your situation but that is pricey. I got an Audio Pro sub with a 6.5" forward firing driver off of ebay for $250 but they are Swedish and have no US distributers. Pity b/c I think you would dig it.
 
Yea, this is really turning into a PITA. I went to listen to the Storm again and he didn't even have it set up for me. He tried again and once again couldn't get it working. I suggested the amp was blown on the Storm so he hooked up a Velodyne and sure enough it worked. Someone blew the amp on the Storm. Hopefully that is not a common problem with them. He had no more in the store so I have to wait one week for them to bring in a couple more from Montreal.

Went and listened to the Paradigm PS1000 and I agree with people at AVS that it is not so great for music, for movies I expect it is a bargain though as it has a huge sub sound and would be great for watching movies in a HT setup.

So far from what I have heard Energy is my pick but will wait to hear the Totem Storm first because this really does look like it may be the best for my application.
 
Back
Top