• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Decent quality microphone

RaidSoft

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 20, 2010
Messages
94
Hello,

First of all this is not really for professional use, however I can be quite picky with certain stuff and it has been bugging me for quite a while how Horrible headset microphones are, picking up sooo much noise and just giving a poor quality overall (but that's to be expected considering their cost) so I am considering getting something a bit higher end but I have NO idea what to get.

So what am I going to use this for? Mainly talking to people over voice chat (Mumble being my favourite choice there) so really it doesn't need to be any super quality stuff because quality is lost there anyway, really what I want to get rid off most is the extra noise that comes with most headset mics. This may also need me to buy a sound card which I am not against either (I currently have a pretty shitty one, a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio and/or a standard integrated card) so needless to say I probably need suggestions on that.

I also do a bit of live broadcasting using justin.tv and would really like to up my mic quality there as well obviously, as I don't really have loads of space on my desk it would be better not having a desk mounted mic but if that's the only choice then so be it, I don't know what kind of mics there are which you can mount to yourself in some fashion or how good they are, my guess is they won't be as good as one mounted to an arm of some sort?

So what I am saying is I don't need any extreme professional stuff, I want middle of the road stuff which won't cost me a fortune but still are noticeably better then your standard headset mic quality, in particular getting rid of all the extra noise.

Bonus question: I may also need a mixer of some sort so I have much better control over all my sound levels but I have no idea what to get in this category...

Lots of questions but I hope there is at least someone that can shine some light on this for me ;) Any help is very appreciated!
 
Good question.. it really depends, I mean I probably don't want go overboard, I mean I have money but at the same time I don't need really high-end gear, as I am unsure what stuff like this actually costs, if it turns out to be just way to expensive for what I want then I may just screw it and not get it..

Basically what I am saying is, how cheap can I get away with but still getting decent enough gear?
 
The Snowball is a good unit. Not exactly pro-level hardware, and somewhat noisy (it's a dynamic capsule, after all), but a good mic at a good price.
 
I have heard about the snowball one, but yeah I understood that they were noisy too as they capture from everywhere? I mean I don't mind having a mic in my face for example, but getting rid of the background noise would be a pretty high on my list of what I want.. like noisy writing on keyboard/mouse clicks etc. and background "static" noise, but maybe that's trying to shoot to high? I do not need "wide" area sound capturing if you get what I mean.

edit: actually it seems to have both omnidirectional and directional capturing.. but I don't know how well it would work as it would be pretty far from my mouth? I will need to be able to sit fairly normally while using it and not having the largest desk I don't know how that would work.. maybe I would need some kind of boom arm? I don't really know...

also sorry for being a pain in the ass ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top