Decent processor for gaming

andrewt328

n00b
Hey, i was wondering what would be a good cheap intel processor that will be able to play League of Legends (Dota like game) easily...i currently have a p4 3.0 ghz and it dosent cut it...im trying to upgrade my old gaming comp.

thanks

You aren't going to find anything on that old dead socket 478 that you likely have...you'll need to upgrade your whole computer. I have my former gaming rigg I'd sell you if you want.

Cooler Master CM360 case
Abit IP35-E Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 @ 3.0ghz at stock voltage
2GB DDR2
EVGA 9800GT - 512MGB RAM
250GB 7,200 RPM Samsung Drive
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
DVD-RW/CD-RW
Windows 7 - legitimate OEM license.

$300 + $20 shipping.
PM me if interested.

If you are wanting to spend more go for a core 2 quad, or an i5 at least. Don't spend more than about $350 unless you go quad core for longevity purposes.

Dell runs some sweet deals listed at www.gotapex.com. Most of them you'd need to pick up a gaming graphics card for, but the prices are amazing.

Unfortunately 775 was arround for a long time and not all 775 motherboards and processors are compatible. What motherboard do you have?

There are going to be a ton of used and cheap core2 775 systems on the market very shortly when socket 1155 comes out in a few weeks.

its a 775 socket....but im looking for a cpu under 100

Then you need a used 775 or low end AMD dual core. Either way you will need a motherboard + ram + cpu. And probably a video card since your P4 will probably not have a video card that can be used with a modern pc.

John

yea..its ddr2, i think the motherboard suppurts up to a core 2 duo, so thats probably what im going to get...but which one is decent for gaming and under 100?

thanks

I had an E6600 and it was pretty good, they're very cheap now, so I'd say anything above an E6600 will be able to game decently.

If it's a Core 2 Duo, and under $100, get it. The C2D was a HUGE improvement over the P4. My friends still runs C2D's in his 5 gaming rigs (guest computers).

You should look up and see if this Q9300 for $99.99 works with your motherboard. It would smoke your old cpu and give you another year or two with your system. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0328258

Just a thought. And those chips at newegg you posted would be huge improvements too. The jump from P4 to Core-anything is an amazing upgrade.

That Q9300 is instore pickup only, but if you live by a microcenter that is a super deal =D

yea..its ddr2, i think the motherboard suppurts up to a core 2 duo, so thats probably what im going to get...but which one is decent for gaming and under 100?

thanks

What is your exact motherboard so someone can check compatibility?

What is your video card and how much ram do you have? A core 2 won't help at all if you are using onboard graphics and have 512MB of ram.

Back