• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Decent low budget sub

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,228
I recently decided to go the Receiver + Passive speakers route. I have on order a Denon 1610 and a set of Infinity Primus 162's. I am planning on running everything via HDMI through the receiver and then onto my also newly ordered HP 2509m.

The room layout is going to be pretty small (see image below). I am slowly building this system piece by piece but looking to keep it on a pretty small budget. To start with everything audio wise will be coming through the computer as I have an internal blu-ray player and a TV Tuner in the computer. It will all be passed as 7.1 LPCM via either my 4870x2 via a DVI-HDMI adapter or 4550 using straight HDMI. At a later date I might upgrade to a 5550 so I can bitstream from the computer, but right now that's not needed.

I plan on only running 3.1 max and have already chosen to go with the Infinity PC350 center speaker.

I am in need of decently priced subs under 300ish. Keep in mind I do not need anything massive but I would like to be decently accurate. I own a Polk PSW125 and while its decent it doesn't do as well as I would like with low down music. DIY solutions are not really an option for me.

GuestBedroom.jpg


Thanks in advance for the suggestions
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Save up for the eD sub, its worth it! :D

My only concern is that honestly I wont get enough use out of the sub to justify spending that much. Is there that big a difference in how low it goes compared to the others?
 
i would agree with the low tier ID companies like HSU, SVS, and eD
 
So here is a list of the possible subs:

Just outside my limit:
1. Elemental Designs A2 - 250: 325
2. BIC F12: 350

Inside my budget:
1. HSU STF-1: 254
2. BIC 1220: 162
3. Premier Acoustic PA-120: 230
4. Acoustech H-100: 250

Keeping in mind that 300 really is my limit which inside my budget would you suggest? I would rather have less wattage and a more accurate sub than more wattage with less accuracy.
 
So here is a list of the possible subs:

Just outside my limit:
1. Elemental Designs A2 - 250: 325
2. BIC F12: 350

Inside my budget:
1. HSU STF-1: 254
2. BIC 1220: 162
3. Premier Acoustic PA-120: 230
4. Acoustech H-100: 250

Keeping in mind that 300 really is my limit which inside my budget would you suggest? I would rather have less wattage and a more accurate sub than more wattage with less accuracy.

3. Premier Acoustic PA-120: 230

This is the replacement model for the H-100, its the same things pretty much without the gold colored woofer if I remember correctly. It also is the best in the price range you have listed.
 
If you are willing to go used, recertified, there are some good deals online/ebay/craigslist as well.
 
Not much to add except I like my Hsu STF-1 as well. Very nice clean bass (probably nowhere as deep as some of the others but I like it :) ).
 
Back
Top