Decent HTPC for $500?

nuclearfly

Limp Gawd
Update: Final price list in post #26

Hey guys. I'm taking on the project of building an HTPC. But I want to do it for under $500.

Am I insane?

I was thinking of the following setup:

Case: Silverstone LC04
CPU: AMD 2000+ ish...
MB: ???
RAM: Crucial 512mb DDR PC3200
Vid Card: ATI 9600
Capture: Hauppage PVR-250
HD: Seagate 200-300gb
Round IDE Cables

I've never made an HTPC, so I'm not even sure if this would be a good setup. Might have to scour eBay for some pieces also, but thats fine. Also, I'm not sure how the Silverstone case is for cooling, so some quiet fans might have to go in the case as well.

Whatcha think?

If you don't need Linux support you could get a PVR-150 instead of the PVR-250 and save a few bucks.

valve1138 said:
If you don't need Linux support you could get a PVR-150 instead of the PVR-250 and save a few bucks.

Does the 150 come with a remote? I would really like to only use a remote, and not have to deal with a Keyboard/Mouse.

the remotes that come with the Hauppauge aren't that great. there are way better options out there. go with the PVR150MCE and pick a different remote.

IDversusEGO said:
the remotes that come with the Hauppauge aren't that great. there are way better options out there. go with the PVR150MCE and pick a different remote.

Alright. I'll have to look into different remotes. I was just pricing things at Newegg, and I saw that the 9600 comes with a remote too. What is that used for?

Also, any suggestions on key features for a motherboard?

valve1138 said:

So if I want to use Linux, I can't get a 150? Has anybody tried getting it to work?

supposedly Linux now has support for all mdoels, but it is stronger for the 250 series. As for the remote ont he 9600, the only remote I know of is the one that comes with the All in Wonder cards. If that is the model you are looking at, don't. the AIW cards are not wortht he money. plus if you get the Hauppauge, there is no point in it.

Ah.. OK. I was looking at the AIW card. I've been reading some more on Linux HTPCs, and I think that is where I want to go. Also, in that direction, I might switch out for an nVidia instead, since the support is better. So let's see. It would probably by a 6500ish in nVidia, right?

For the capture card, I'll have to look into if the 150 is supported. Otherwise I might get the 250MCE, since it doesn't bother with a remote.

For remotes it looks like most people like the StreamZap. Although, I've heard it takes some work to get configured properly.

the snapstream is nice, but not backlit and it is RF. that means bad for low light usage and it wouldn't be able to control multiple items like the TV or HT reciever. of course, it is pretty easy to use and the buttons are well laid out and labeled.

IDversusEGO said:
the snapstream is nice, but not backlit and it is RF. that means bad for low light usage and it wouldn't be able to control multiple items like the TV or HT reciever. of course, it is pretty easy to use and the buttons are well laid out and labeled.

Which remote are you talking about? I was looking at the StreamZap... It doesn't look like it is backlit, but this says it is IR?

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/streamzap-pc-remote/cName/remote-controls

The Slipstream doesn't look like it has the functionality I need.

nuclearfly said:
Update: found some support for Linux with the 150:
http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/

Yeah the 150 has support now (drivers for the PVR500 are kind of flaky though) and as you mentioned eariler you should go with an NV card if you want to use Linux (basic things like TV out aren't support with ATI). Depending on your TV something as simple as a 5200 would be fine (what TV do you have?). With that your list seems about right, I would go with an NF2 mobo myself.

yeah, I was tlaking about hte firefly, sorry. It is my favorite PC remote by far, but I need backilit and multi-device so I ditched it. I use it on my regular PC now. just lets me adjust the volume fromt he other side of the office while I straighten. The look and feel is great though. and it is easy to customize. all the button functions are in an XML file, so you can manually recode it. I liked it. just lacked those 2 big things for me.

CrimandEvil said:
He meant this one: http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/snapstream-firefly-pc-remote/cName/remote-controls

The StreamZap is a very simple and basic remote (too basic for me) but it functions okay.

Ok, I thought that was the one he meant.

Would you recommend another? Remember, I'm going to try and get away with day-day functions w/o a keyboard/mouse.

My TV is a 36" normal TV, nothing special. No HD. But, that TV is about 8 years old and in a little while I will be upgrading. When I do upgrade, it will be something along the lines of an HD Plasma, close to a 60".

It will probably be a few years before I get the new TV, however. Should I stick with a 5600ish one for now, and upgrade when I get my new TV?

My favrite setup is the one I have on 3 of my PC's now. I use a JP1 compatible learning universal remote (One For All or Radio Shack brand) remote and an IR keyboard and mouse combo (I recommend the sk-7551). Using the proper cable I can program the buttons to send keyboard commands for the apps. Using this method I can use a remote made for home theatre use and customize almost every single button on it. The remote sends to the keyboard IR reciever so the PC just thinks you are pressing keyboard keys.

You can also get any learing remote and IR keyboard and learn the individual keystrokes, but it is more tedious and can be flaky if you don't take your time during the learning process. Plus there is no backup system. with a JP1 remote you can save the buttons cofig to a file on your PC. if the memory gets whiped ont he remote, just flash it again. no relearning.

if you are interested, let me know and I'll get you some links. you can also search for JP1 forums and find tons of info there.

I currently use thes remotes...
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC 8910
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC 9960

and this keyboard/mouse...
http://store.yahoo.com/keyboards/skirwirkey.html

Nice. Thanks. I'll take a look at the JP1.

On to my next question. I am researching the nVidia cards. And I keep seeing this VIVO thing come up. I'm guessing this is Video In/Video Out. Does this allow for inputs to your Vid card? Would it serve a practical purpose for a HTPC?

the kameleon does not have the jumpers from the factory. you either need to get a modified one or something called a Pogo adapter. You can get the Kameleon on ebay for cheap. it is just a pretty universal remote. You can't change the labels on the buttons. I like it because it is very viewable in the dark and the light is motion based, not keypress based. so the lights come on when you pick it up.

Quick question. What do you mean, ID, about the jumpers for the Kameleon?

I'm still pricing.. and I haven't even hit eBay yet.. and I'm at just over $600. I am still finding cheaper and cheaper pieces though. Will post list when done.

quick summary of JP1...

some companies make remotes with upgradeable ROMS for code upgrades. this particualr company uses a simple 6 PIN jumper on the circuit board. Someone hacked the ROM and created an app to create custom ROM upgrades. Now, a few of the models have the circuits for the upgrade, but not the actual jumpers. For those, you have to solder jumpers on to update the ROMs. not too difficult, but to make it even easier, you can buy a small adapter that plugs into your cable and makes contact to the bare circuit leads. You have to hold it there while the ROM downloads.

Final equipment list:

Case:
SilverStone LC04
pcalchemy.com
$152.32
CPU:
AMD Sempron 2200+
eBay
$50.00
Mainboard:
Asus A7N8X-X
Compu-Terra
$55.73
RAM:
Generic 1GB PC3200
pcboost.com
$61.98
Vid Card:
Asus GeForce 6200 128
Xtreme Gear
$58.75
Capture:
Happauge PVR-150MCE
pcalchemy
$64.95
HD:
Maxtor 200GB
Logical Plus
$99.00
DVD:
Lite-ON 16X
NewEgg
$29.97
Round IDEs:
Unicomm 18" (2)
NewEgg
$6.60
Remote:
Kameleon
ebuyer.com
$51.90

Grand Total: $640.20 shipped

Over budget a bit, but I splurged on the case and the remote. With a $30-40 case, and no remote, it would have been around $490.

Now all I have to do is put it together, and hope everything works. :eek:

don't forget the keyboard/mouse combo. You can't do the JP1 without it. You need the IR reciever. or you can get a generic reciever, but a good one is $45. at least with this you get a keyboard mouse for emergency use.

http://www.censuspc.com/cart/product.php?productid=1040

if you are looking to shave money, start with 512 and upgrade later. get this for $20
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4071762

also, I would go for a Seagate over the Maxtor. runs cooler and ahs a better warranty.
160gb for $60
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Seag...sem/rpsm/oid/118284/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Western digital 200gb for $75
http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...xpansionOID=-536892754&prodBlockOID=537395644

it has a built in pointing device. there is a knob on the top right and the right/left click buttons are on the left.

yeah, it is gettign harder to find. CensusPC is where I got mine. Hoenstly, any IR one will do, but the JP1 forum already has a code built for this one so half the work is done for you.

1.) Make sure that video card is AGP and not PCIe.
2.) Don't go with generic memory, you want the thing to be stable and as far as I've seen generic memory is anything but that.
3.) You should always factor in the price of software although there are good opensourced and free apps.
4.) You can get the PVR150 cheaper in a bundle from PC Alchemy. ;)

CrimandEvil said:
1.) Make sure that video card is AGP and not PCIe.
2.) Don't go with generic memory, you want the thing to be stable and as far as I've seen generic memory is anything but that.
3.) You should always factor in the price of software although there are good opensourced and free apps.
4.) You can get the PVR150 cheaper in a bundle from PC Alchemy. ;)

1. Check.... got the AGP
2. I've never had a problem with generic memory, so until I do, I can't warrant paying extra.
3. I never pay for software. KnoppMyth.
4. I got the PVR-150 from pcalchemy... and I don't want anything else they had bundled with it... so I think I still got it the cheapest.

still a little cheaper than the usb-uirt and you get a keyboard mouse and you can use a cool universal remote. was a better bargain a few months ago, but still worth it to me.

IDversusEGO said:
still a little cheaper than the usb-uirt and you get a keyboard mouse and you can use a cool universal remote. was a better bargain a few months ago, but still worth it to me.

I'll take your word for it.... for now.... :D

Back