• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Decent Headset for $40?

ApaThy_NeXT2

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
1,225
For mostly PC gaming and watching some shows, I'm not a big audio guy, but they should fully cover my ears and be comfortable.
I been looking at the Sennheisers, but they don't come with a mic, I maybe able to live with that if the set is really good, but I absolutely need volume control on the headset itself.

Any suggestions?


EDIT: IS this any good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826279004
Doesn't have to be the greatest, but decent atleast?
 
Sennheiser 202, usually between $20-$40

that's what i use and i got them for $22 on amazon sometime last year.
 
Sorry can't share any personal experience, but I just purchased this a few hours ago
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=plantronics_gamecom-_-26-265-065-_-Product
(~$32 on amazon)

Seems pretty good, cloth + open air for comfort. Mic should be fine given the company, has volume control. The only consistent knock on it seems to be the headband is stiff and weak. Hopefully I can gradually stretch that out.

I actually have these right now, the headband at the part where you and adjust the height broke on me, but they are a decent set.
They are definitely comfortable.
 
May I ask why you have to have audio controls on the headset? I just set my F10-12 keys to mute, volume up, and volume down. Then there is no need to limit yourself to crappy $40 "gaming" headsets and you can get the following:

JVC HA-RX700 $33

and

Zalman Mic$11
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
May I ask why you have to have audio controls on the headset? I just set my F10-12 keys to mute, volume up, and volume down. Then there is no need to limit yourself to crappy $40 "gaming" headsets and you can get the following:

JVC HA-RX700 $33

and

Zalman Mic$11

Thanks!
I had no idea you could do that. Reason I wanted to have control is to go up or down in while during gaming where I can't access the windows sound control. Can you please tell me how you do that?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
SharpKeys is what I use. Can change all sorts of stuff around, and I just make it so F10=mute, F11=volume down, F12=volume up. They work just like it would if your keyboard had media keys. Although it also makes your F10-12 keys unusable for their regular function, so I map shift+F10 to be "normal" F10, etc.
 
I might buy a pair of these, mod them and post my results with pictures on the site.

Let me know your thoughts.
 
Mod?? What kind of mods can you do?
I should get mines late next week or early the week after, amazon not shipping until next week. :/
I'll let you know!
 
While not the best cans on the market, you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal at $27. They sound very nice and are comfortable too. I've seen comparisons to the audio-technica AD700s where people say the JVCs are not quite as good, but very very close at a stupid low price point.

I'd invest in nicer ones, but my fiancee always leaves them strewn about and the dog's tail knocks them onto the floor, so $27 is about all I ever want to spend.
 
I might buy a pair of these, mod them and post my results with pictures on the site.

Let me know your thoughts.

So I got banned, whatever.

Anyway just wanted to follow up. These headphones are really great. They do block out a decent amount of outside noise. I have a loud fan near my desk and while these doesn't completely block out all of the noise form the fan they do block a good amount of it.

The bass is super nice. Although I can't tell the difference between these and my last headset(plantronics $50 one) in terms of gaming these are highly superior for music. I've let a couple of my family members use them and they all agree that these are great headphones.

If anyone is interested in a cheap good pair defiantly check these out.

So hopefully you will do a review on these and maybe post some mods that you have done, earl.
 
Back
Top