decent crossfire?

P3N1X0R

Gawd
so right now i have the rig in sig. 24in wide screen with a 9800gtx+

my board supports the crossfire, and ive been thinking about what to do, if its worth it, sure its a gimmick, but would it be useful?

whats a semi budget crossfire setup that could compete against my card, or beat it? obviously those 4870's and such would.

any thoughts?

so you want to run crossfire just because your board supports it? at 1920 a single 470 1gb would suffice in all games except Crysis DX10 max settings and Clear Sky DX10 max settings. if you you dont care about either of those games then there is no point in getting anything above a single 4870 1gb. also that 500 watt psu would be cutting it a little close with your current setup and dual 4870 cards. you seemed to give details on everthing in your sig except the psu so that makes me wonder if its even a decent unit.

ya the PS is good. i forget the specific one. id have to open it up n see. enermax truepower 500 something or other name. it replaced an older fortron blue storm 500 thats sitting in another pc now.

yea i guess the crossfire point is moot when 1 card will suffice. cant get like some 4670's or whatever and xfire them up? i guess the neatness of 2 cards in the case is all.

ya the PS is good. i forget the specific one. id have to open it up n see. enermax truepower 500 something or other name. it replaced an older fortron blue storm 500 thats sitting in another pc now.

yea i guess the crossfire point is moot when 1 card will suffice. cant get like some 4670's or whatever and xfire them up? i guess the neatness of 2 cards in the case is all.
why would you want all the headaches and driver issues of having two cards when you dont have too? NEVER get two cards when one card can deliver the same performance. having two 4760 cards would be silly because they only have about 1/4 the memory bandwidth of a 4870. a 4870 1gb, gtx260, gtx280, and gtx285 should be the single cards you are looking at. also without knowing the exact model and specs your psu could still be a little on the weak side to power a 4870 crossfire setup. your system under full load could easily exceed 400 watts.

I would have to agree that going with the current 4870 1GB single card solution would be a good option.

I've had X1600xt's crossfired, 2600XT's crossfired, and now I have just the 1 X2. The X2 *is* overkill for my setup, but I got a good discount from VisionTeK from where I work if I bought 2 - thus the GF got one too.

While I have seen performance improvements with Crossfire'd cards, the evidence as of late seems to show that your cost for performance ratio really seems to max out with a 4870 1GB. Then, should a 2nd card become really cheap to acquire - you can get a 2nd one for eye-candy. I know I like to crank up the AA and AF as high as I can. This can help push your investment for a little longer.

If I can make one last suggestion - don't short yourself on a "good enough" PSU. Running a critical device like that at "redline" 24/7 is only asking for it to "pop". While I'm not an electronics expert, I'd hate to see you invest in new hardware only to have a capacitor or regulator fail and run more juice to your rig that it can handle causing collateral damage. I did the "good enough" PSU just once...and the time I went without a gaming PC was enough to fix that little decision :)

i think nvidia is not good enough for high resolution unless GTX250 above series with huge GDDR ram.

while HD4850 / 4870 is better then 9800GTX on high res.

Back