Decent Cheap Monitors for Work?

I have a new position that has opened up in my office, that we're gathering equipment for. I'd like the employee to have two monitors, that they can work from.

The ONLY thing they would be doing, is working with spreadsheets, web browsing, and general MS Office type duties.

I was thinking of getting two of these. Thoughts?

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-24-112-027

I'd like to stick around a price point of $60-$80 a monitor.

Anything else I should look at? Any other place? I've tried checking out SD's, but can't find anything floating around right now.

Don't torture this person with two 20" 1600x900 TN panels or yourself with a no name brand with questionable support/warranty.

I'd much, much rather work on one good display and would suggest this 23" 1080p IPS display. Better viewing angles, better PPI, better colors, no PWM (reduced eye strain). I have the 27" and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-23xw-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B00TQQN2GI/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Go to Monoprice for reliable cheap LCD's. Cheap in reference to price, not quality.

Don't torture this person with two 20" 1600x900 TN panels or yourself with a no name brand with questionable support/warranty.

I'd much, much rather work on one good display and would suggest this 23" 1080p IPS display. Better viewing angles, better PPI, better colors, no PWM (reduced eye strain). I have the 27" and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-23xw-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B00TQQN2GI/

They're currently using a Planar PL1910M, which is working fine for them, so I doubt they'll know the difference in anything I toss at them. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd try to find something with a 1920 x 1200 resolution, those are better for spreadsheets etc

+1

I was in your position, OP. And when I noticed that the staff were stuck with crap for monitors, I intervened.

I'd try to find something with a 1920 x 1200 resolution, those are better for spreadsheets etc

Unfortunately those command high premium compared to same class 1080p.

Plus OP wanted to buy them 1600x900 so it's better anyway :D

even a 1680x1050 monitor would be a better option than 1600x900. it might be hard to find new ones these days, but there should be plenty of cheap refurbs out there.

Try the dell outlet with some often in play coupon codes. Lots of decent monitors under $100 usually.

Higher the resolution the better. More workspace thanks to more pixels. 1600x900 is just too small for anything work related. Create that as a custom resolution on your computer and see how zoomed in it is compared to your normal 1080p or above resolution.

Try the dell outlet with some often in play coupon codes. Lots of decent monitors under $100 usually.

We upgraded about ten older 19" and 20" monitors (mostly 1440x900 and 1600x900 resolution) at our office a few months back with refurbished monitors from the Dell outlet. When they run their coupons, you can sometimes get something like an E2314H for about $75, an E2414H for around $80, a P2314H for about $90, or a P2414H for about $95 (prices excluding tax), if you can stretch that per-monitor budget a little. The coupons come and go on the home and business outlets, and inventory fluctuates. The P series Dell monitors come with a much-appreciated adjustable stand as well. They only come with a 90 day warranty, if that's something that's of concern.

Regarding that S2415H monitor linked to previously, you should check whether having a glossy monitor will be an issue in your office. We tried a couple glossy monitors, and they did not work out well, given we have a lot of windows that caused glare.

Why not get a 4k 40" for them? Afterwards you can recycle them for yourself or other employees.

Back