Decent Card for mid-range system?

vigor

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2002
Messages
311
Im looking to pickup a Video Card for a mid-range system, I do some mild gaming on it and currently it has a Geforce MX 440SE, it's a slow beast.

I'd rather not spend anymore than $115 or so on a new video card, but want something relatively decent.

I found a good deal for a GeForce FX 5600 XT (What does XT mean for Nvidia Cards?)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-169&depa=0

$105 w/free shipping.

Next best card I could find in this price range was a 9600SE, which in benchies is slow as balls.

Please advise.
 
I would try to scrounge up around 130-140$ and get a 9600pro, but if you simply cant then that fx5600 is probably your best bet.
 
I would stay away from the Radeon 9600SE because it utilizes a 64-bit memory interface as opposed to 128-bit used in the non-SE models. In addition, I *think* the Gainward FX5600XT is also a 64-bit version of the standard FX5600. These lesser versions have far less memory bandwidth than their non-castrated brethren and thus, much less performance. I'd recommend the BFG FX5600 Utra for $125 or the Powercolor Radeon 9600pro for $138.

An FX5600--performance-wise--is essentially a Geforce4 Ti4200 that has DX9 compatibility. But unfortunately, you won't be happy doing any moderate to serious DX9 gaming on this card.

I say if you can wait 6 months, then wait. New hardware will come out and the current batch of worthy mid-range cards (FX5700 and Radeon 9600 pro or XT) will be cheaper. Besides, the floodgates have not yet busted open on DX9 games. If you must buy now and $115 is your absolute limit, then get a standard Radeon 9600--newegg has them for about $105-110 from Sapphire. Keep in mind that those cards have passive cooling--if you want to overclock, you will need to upgrade the standard heatsink.
 
Originally posted by vigor
...
I'd rather not spend anymore than $115 or so on a new video card, but want something relatively decent.

I found a good deal for a GeForce FX 5600 XT (What does XT mean for Nvidia Cards?)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-169&depa=0

...

There are quite a few good cards for you price range -

the XT in the nVidia must mean XtraTurd - basically, it's a castrated version of the card. Most likely a marketing thing since ATi has thier XT's, which are actually better....

Although I prefer nVidia, here's probably the best deal for under $115 at the moment, a 256MB 9600 (non-pro):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-217&catalog=48&depa=1

I've installed several of them in systems, and they game quite well - not as good as the 9600 Pro or XT, but the picture quality is excellent and they out perform the 5700XT by a long shot - sad but true.

As always, the longer you wait, the better card you can get for the same amount - but you have to buy some time.

Peace,
Tim
 
Thanks for the advice, I ended up buying the PowerColor 9600 pro
 
9600 series dominates the midrange bang for buck area, good purchase.
 
Back
Top