Debating over Dell 2005FPW.

TrueChaos

Limp Gawd
Im currently using 2 old 17" CRT's, and ive been looking to move to a 20" widescreen monitor. Now, Dells 2005 FPW seems like a steal (on sale now for 600$ CAD), but I havent been able to find any reviews on how well it does for gaming. How bad is the ghosting on it? What other problems does it have?

Also, what monitors are its direct competition, that are around the same price? I havent really been able to find any...

Thanks for your help :)

-Cameron

Mine is awesome. I don't notice any ghosting. No light leakage. I can't think of anything bad about it.

very good monitor, you won't be disappointed.
if you are, just send it back to dell, shipping on them

I just took advantage of that deal myself and absolutely LOVE this monitor. I've played F.E.A.R. and Jedi Academy (haha old I know) and they look great!

I say go for it.

the first few generations had some bad bleeding, mainly because of quality control. I got my mexico revision about 7-8 months ago and yes the leakage is there and it is negligible unless you watch widescreen dvd movies and u see somewhat of a glare in the background between the black borders.

Well im a n00b when it comes to LCD's... I know what ghosting is, but what exactly is meant by light leakage? Im having trouble with google, its refusing to find a clear definition. :rolleyes:

-Cameron

TrueChaos said:
Well im a n00b when it comes to LCD's... I know what ghosting is, but what exactly is meant by light leakage? Im having trouble with google, its refusing to find a clear definition. :rolleyes:
Think of you are in a darkroom, and you are staring at the door, but outside is so bright, the edges of the doorframe are leaking the light from behind the door.

In reality, check these pics out. They look worse in the pictures because we have to overexpose the pictures (more light) in order to register anything.

take a hard look at the acer f-20 before you purchase anything.

I Initially ordered the 2405FPW from Dell and was not happy with the way it preformed with FPS games on my system (P4, 3.2, 6800gs). It just felt too big and even after I tweaked everything the best I could frames would still drop when things got crazy on the screen.
I called Dell and exchanged for the 2005FPW and I'm very satisfied. I would recommend it for any serious gamer that wants a LCD with a similar system. I get no slowdowns with high end settings.

Jason711 said:
take a hard look at the acer f-20 before you purchase anything.

Problem is that the acer f-20 is about 200$ CAD more than the dell... :p. I am definatly open to more reccomendations though, so long as they are available in Canada.

-Cameron

You could have saved 25% off the 2005FPW last weekend!

I just bought one from Dell.ca Saturday Feb 25 for $561.75 CND, before tax, with Free Shipping!
I saved $187.00 CDN off of the normal price.

I should have bough 2 for that price. :(

just wait for you chance every month, and you get a deal on the monitors. I got my 440 shipped back in the deal. Now it can be had for much less. 400 dollars plus stupid tax

I think im gonna pick up the dell 2005 fpw tomorow. I was debating for a long time and the dell seems like a good choice, especially with the price as good as it is right now for you.

Majin said:
You could have saved 25% off the 2005FPW last weekend!

I just bought one from Dell.ca Saturday Feb 25 for $561.75 CND, before tax, with Free Shipping!
I saved $187.00 CDN off of the normal price.

I should have bough 2 for that price. :(
They've been cheaper. The 10 days of deals event that Dell.ca typically has every 6 weeks or so has recently had the 2005FPW for C$499 and the 2405FPW for C$899.

The 2005's went back up. The 2405's are on sale again.

Check out this deal on the Viewsonic VX2025WM which is virtually identical to the 2005.

I picked up one a few weeks ago and I can't get over how cool it is. Mine had some backlight bleeding, so I had Dell ship me a replacement. The replacement was 3X worse, and although I could have continued swapping monitors until I got a perfect one, I decided I was too lazy to do that and kept the first one.

The backlight bleeding is sort of annoying, but it isn't a huge deal. But that's up to each person. Some people will find that unacceptable, some won't mind as much. I only see it when I am looking for it. In the apps I use (which isn't many, civ4, WoW), I can't see it at all.

Not a single dead pixel however, and aside from the backlight bleeding the monitor is extremely cool. I'm a total widescreen whore now. Never going back. Next step is to get a second and dual-monitor them. My CRT beside my 2005fpw looks pathetic.

Back