Debating if I want to upgrade the infrastructure

stiltner

[H]F Junkie
So I have a full on Ubiquiti setup in my home sans the 24 port HP managed switch I use.

UBNT Router (Edgerouter Lite 3 )
4 UAP AP's (3 hooked up, 4th is just sitting, no need for it)
3 Aircams and 3 2nd Gen cameras.

I'm thinking I want more granular control over the network and the things that are on it, since with probably 13-15 devices sharing, it starts to become an issue with bandwidth (700-800GB/mo Internet usage).

I'm thinking of swapping to the following:

1 USG (since it'll do full DPI, where the ER3 is really poor at this)
2 UAP AP Pro (3x3 MIMO AC, newest AP)
1 8Port - USW-150 Watt POE switch for cameras and AP's.

I think I'll get more control over the network, for sure better speed options from the AP's and the 8port switch is sufficent for my items. I can leave the 24 port HP switch bridged off the USG and only use it for the storage servers and VMWare servers that are sitting in the closet right now.

Your thoughts on the changeout. Or, should I just go with 1 AP Pro, (2700 sq ft 3 floors home with lathe and plaster walls)

Just make sure that the USG has the features avaialble that you want. It is not as full featured currently as the ER series at least if you are going through the controller. There is more available if you go through the CLI but then you can sometimes run into issues on reboot

I'm looking for more in terms of activity monitoring and management.

The ER3 / ERL just doesn't have that. Its nice, but its DPI has a crap ton of issues too it seems.

Back