Deathspank

GregP24

[H]ard|Gawd
So, who picked this up yesterday? I downloaded it on my PS3 after I got home from work. Spent about 40 minutes playing it with my wife. It's a silly, fun game. Whoever thought that dragon hatchlings would need to be protected from vicious chickens?

I'm waiting for it to appear on PSN. Unless it has materialized in the last few minutes it isn't up yet (15:30 local time). Love how that link says release date: jul-sep.

If it's not out today I will never fucking buy it for a console, I swear.

Kotaku ("Best Game Involving A Purple Thong"), Eurogamer ("There's a lot of crap in DeathSpank.")

It's definitely on PSN since I played the demo last night. I really don't care for it since it is very "silly". I'd rather another hack & slash RPG like Titan Quest or Torchlight to play on my PS3...

I am crying on the inside that this isn't out on PC. Heck, I'm crying on the outside, too.

Supposedly out yesterday on PSN, today on XBL. Pretty interested in it myself, but haven't bought it yet.

I read that Eurogamer review, and I find it a little odd that they reviewed it like a $60 retail game, instead of a $15 downloadable. It's never mentioned how much content there seems to be for the price.

Last edited:
I've played up to level 8 (of 20). It's not like I find it hilarious or anything, but it's a perfectly good hack'n'slash. Fairly good UI during gameplay but maybe not the best menus. Directional buttons map to items and action-buttons map to weapons. You're supposed to chain attacks by not using the same weapon more than two times in a row (the tutorial chimed in after more than an hour).

It's easy though, I'm playing on normal and I've only died once. Anyone familiar with the genre should up the difficulty one step IMO.

There are leaderboards for kills, money and oddly enough, level? Not sure what the point of that is if there's a cap at 20.

A level cap of 20... I hit level 4 within the 30 minute demo. That's a low level cap for a hack & slash RPG.

So enemies don't agro you? Kind of easy if you can just go wherever you want and never get attacked. Oh, can you dual wield?

this game fell off my radar. going to download it tonight on PSN. cant wait!

So enemies don't agro you? Kind of easy if you can just go wherever you want and never get attacked. Oh, can you dual wield?

Enemies go aggressive if you get close. Dual wield? You're effectively quad-wielding already!

Level 12. It's gotten a bit more difficult, I just ran into some sort of stone golem which killed me with one hit. Sometimes you can take on enemies two levels higher without problem, other times, not so much :)

The game has opened up a bit more now also.

A level cap of 20... I hit level 4 within the 30 minute demo. That's a low level cap for a hack & slash RPG.

The amount of XP required to level up obviously increases as you progress. Substantially so. Last I checked my stats, I was at around 33% completion at level 11 or 12 maybe. The cap does seem low but there's nothing wrong with it if the game is balanced around it.

Enemies go aggressive if you get close. Dual wield? You're effectively quad-wielding already!

Level 12. It's gotten a bit more difficult, I just ran into some sort of stone golem which killed me with one hit. Sometimes you can take on enemies two levels higher without problem, other times, not so much :)

The game has opened up a bit more now also.

Yea those golems took me out a couple of times as well before it occurred to me that the fight was impossible. This is that village where you have to find the guy's lost brother right? Also where a woman asks you to find her... stuff? (on the right of the village there's a path leading to a monastery with a big bell you have to destroy?).

I'm level 13 now, and I seem to be kind of stuck in terms of which direction I should go. There's a path which leads to a 2nd demon mine and eventually the bad guy's castle, which I figure I should avoid right now. Looking for a path to the enchanted forest or haunted forest for some quests but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out? :)

Just played some of the demo, but EP was on so i had to switch to composite1

Seems pretty fun

Played the demo, loved it. Am debating if I want to blow the full 1200 on it, or wait for a sale down the road. Limbo comes out next week, what's a lad to do?

After playing the demo I decided the game was worth the $15. Played for a couple of hours last night, by no means a masterpiece but it is super fun and has humerus dialogue and at least a decent storyline (so far). This one should be good for at least a few weeks of casual play. :)

Would buy now, but no online co op and $15 price will force me to wait for a sale on XBLA.

I spent several hours with it over the weekend and I'm really liking it. It's got a great unique visual style, hilarious Ron Gilbert (Monkey Island) dialog, and a solid Diablo-lite gameplay mechanic. I'm about 4 hours in and judging from the portion of the map that I've uncovered, it looks like it's going to be about a 20 hour experience. For $15 it's just about everything I could ask for.

I've heard its a 8 to 10 hour experience max.

playing this with a friend, at level 16 currently and probably 7 hours in. does not feel like we are approaching the end game at all. does the game end quick or something? we have maybe 1/3 of the world map in unlocked and the quest log is packed. we just finished off the undead zone in the south with the sunken town.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I finished the game in 10 hours and a few minutes, but I did spend some time grinding to the level cap and also I got stuck in some of the puzzles for too long. Overall I'd say it's a 9 hour game give or take a bit.

playing this with a friend, at level 16 currently and probably 7 hours in. does not feel like we are approaching the end game at all. does the game end quick or something? we have maybe 1/3 of the world map in unlocked and the quest log is packed. we just finished off the undead zone in the south with the sunken town.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You have about 4 or 5 major areas left to visit and quest in. Leveling slows down drastically around where you are, and you will probably end the game at late level 18 or 19. The game does have a quick ending (as in, the last few sets of quests flew by really fast) but I'd still say you're on track to finish the game in 10 hours or so.

I read the Giant Bomb review which stated it took 5 1/2 hours to 100% the game, and that just seemed like a huge rush job to me, despite being 100%. Everywhere else indicates it's longer.

Yea I read that review too. 5.5 hours is definitely a rushed playthrough... he probably skipped through dialogues and used up fortune cookies instantly for the puzzles.

I played it and beat it with 100percent side and main quests done in 7h 36min. After killing the final boss i was level 19 and 1/2 and spent 15 min or so getting level 20 from the unicorn camp.

Back