Death of Windows XP Countdown

We'll be running XP at my workplace for years to come, as the custom Verizon FiOS design software we use wont run under Win7 and VZ isnt going to fund re-writing it to work.

MS can say "its dead" all they want, but there are gonna be XP machines out there running it for years, especially ATM's it would seem..... ;)

My hospital uses XP on all of it's portables. Doubt they'll be upgrading any time soon.

We'll be running XP at my workplace for years to come, as the custom Verizon FiOS design software we use wont run under Win7
Stuff like that makes me cringe. Most often it happens because administrator privileges are assumed for really dumb reasons, like writing config files in the application directory, or any number of other best practices ignored since Windows 2000 was introduced. lol

Goodbye Windows XP, sure had a good long run and Microsoft was kind enough to provide support for 14 years.

Goodbye Windows XP, sure had a good long run and Microsoft was kind enough to provide support for 14 years.

"kind enough" ??

If I paid hundreds of dollars for a vacuum cleaner and 14 years later the manufacturer decided to stop making bags for it I would not be thanking them for being kind enough to allow the product I paid for to be useful for so long.

"kind enough" ??

If I paid hundreds of dollars for a vacuum cleaner and 14 years later the manufacturer decided to stop making bags for it I would not be thanking them for being kind enough to allow the product I paid for to be useful for so long.

Are these bags free? ;)

"kind enough" ??

You're special amirite?

Somehow, somewhere there are Microsoft employees that actually believe this is a countdown to the success of Windows 8.

Somewhere there are millions upon millions of people and companies with XP that don't even necessarily have a clue which version of Windows they're running or what "XP" even means, and certainly don't care Microsoft a) is discontinuing patching, and b) wants to sell them a new version.

A lot of these people have been ignoring the "windows is ready to install updates" tasktray nag, and will continuing doing so for the next decade.

My workplace has no plans to move to 7. It would be nice to be able to get more than 4GB of ram though. We have TONS of stuff open all the time. Lot of the apps don't work in 7 though, and they have no plans to code them so they do. That's what happens when you outsource coding. They make a crap job of it, and they'll charge you extra to fix it. We can't even update Java without all hell breaking loose.

As far as security goes, you can never depend on the OS's security, all versions have security holes, otherwise there would be no such thing as windows update. Behind a NAT firewall, along with other security measures like A/V it's safe as any other version. Though there are other ways to get infected such as browser based drive bys. Does not help that IE6 is our corporate standard.

I wouldn't think that to be the primary reason why 400-odd million PCs are still running XP right now. Outside of corporations, which just may not want to go through an OS upgrade on a large scale due to potential software incompatibilities and/or retraining costs, there are likely other main reasons individuals aren't moving from XP. The Vista and Win8.x debacles probably didn't instill much confidence in the fence sitters.

An exotic/expensive device attached to business and home PCs is only going to be a small minority of the systems running XP. (One analyzer at the last place I worked was still running on NT 4.0, due to driver support ending at that version, so I understand why some systems are not going to be upgraded. Those are a very tiny minority of all systems.)

true, definitely not 400 mil... but like there are still NT4 machines I guarantee you there will be XP machines for at least a decade or more

Microsoft will be back.

There will be some raging virus or exploit that just tears through the population of XP computers so bad it will be reported nightly on the nightly news. And it will be "Windows" machines with the issue not reported upfront that its only "Windows XP" machines because the media like to make everyone feel at risk so they'll watch.

The beating Microsoft's reputation will take will force them resume some degree of support. Victim of your own success and legacy of having existed for a while.

The start of Linux will soon approach. I wonder how Microsoft is doing with that free version of Windows 8.

Fanboyism aside... Linux has already taken over.

Every Android device is, in effect, a Linux distro. ChromeOS is based on Gentoo and periodically outsells Windows and Mac laptops. Steam is available for Linux and has helped spurred adoption. SteamOS and SteamBoxes are exclusively Linux as well. Every cheap ARM board out there (RasPi, Sheevaplug, et al) are all running Linux, too. Of the top 500 supercomputers in the world... Linux runs on 96% of them.

Linux likely will never take over the segment of retail store shopping for laptops and desktops due to the many different distros, inconsistent UI and issues with software availability (like how the only reason I still use Windows on my desktop is because of After Effects) ... but for all other purposes, there is no start. Linux already won.

People have been switching to smartphones and tablets full time since you no longer need to sit in front of the desktop to have internet access... even set top machines that allow people to bypass the computer for internet things like streaming run Linux (eg, Roku) If you consider other OSes... BSD exists in the PS3 and PS4, iOS and MacOSX, Microsoft is vastly outnumbered. They really only exist on consumer and business devices that are becoming more antiquated by the day. Microsoft's OSes are a minority in the grand scale.

So while people have been focused on the desktop and make the joke about it being the year of LOLinux... people have forgotten to turn around to see what was all happening while they were looking one way.

Linux has already taken over.

a lot of these machines are running hardware that is too expensive to replace, or simply has no reason to be replaced... I have some very expensive machines that have software that dosent run in anything past XP... I could buy an upgrade for hundreds or replace the equipment for thousands, but why? it works just fine

We have quite a few such systems where I work (hospital system). There are no plans to upgrade.

Yes. Upgrade from XP because there are other OSes that run very comfortably on 256MB RAM and 2GB of HD space. Less if you used XPlite. Vista and above calls for 8x memory and storage for better security, DX12 and IE11?! Really? Is not like we're moving away from 95/98/ME and I could still make an argument for those OSes. Well maybe not ME. Moving from XP to Win7 has not made me any more productive. It's just made me spend more money on hardware that could have been spent on a better video and sound card. GG Wintel.

"kind enough" ??

Really, did you expect Microsoft is going to keep supporting XP forever? 14 years is quite a long time.

Guess some people are unwilling to change, and I understand that but sooner or later we are forced to adapt to something else.

Yes. Upgrade from XP because there are other OSes that run very comfortably on 256MB RAM and 2GB of HD space. Less if you used XPlite. Vista and above calls for 8x memory and storage for better security, DX12 and IE11?! Really? Is not like we're moving away from 95/98/ME and I could still make an argument for those OSes. Well maybe not ME. Moving from XP to Win7 has not made me any more productive. It's just made me spend more money on hardware that could have been spent on a better video and sound card. GG Wintel.

WinXP Fundamentals for Legacy PCs. All of XP without any of the bloat.

Installed to about 300MB and used 40MB of Ram when booted to desktop. I loved using it on my Netbook. Unfortunately, it was unable to receive any updates beyond Service Pack 2. That made safety and security a little tricky.

"kind enough" ??

If I kept a vacuum cleaner for 14 years, I would be asking myself why I'm such a hoarder and technophobe and get myself a damn new bagless vacuum or better yet a Roomba 700 series already! :D

Every Android device is, in effect, a Linux distro.

It's interesting that many people say this when talking about Windows and Linux market share yet there are tons of people that complain about Windows 8 being a tablet OS and it's difficult to believe these people would like running Android anymore than Windows 8.x on a desktop or laptop.

We're about to do a slide in for home run. Management is very pleased as they thought it couldn't be done on schedule, but we're down from several thousand to 52 XP machines left. Woot! :D

Well done!

It's almost as if my organization decided that there was no damn way we were making April and decided to just 'let it ride'.

Our domestic office is 30% upgraded and our international offices have not even started!

As a security guy, I love xp boxes... weak ntlmv1/ntlmv2/ntlm session going everywhere, weak DCC/mscash creds on the box (vista+ is 10240 iterations of sha1 harder to crack), weak md5-mac-rc4 kereros tickets, love them.

Then again I love the shadow service on vista+ boxes too... non-admin access to cached sam/system files....

But the whole thing in the 90s/early 2ks was a joke before the government finally let up enough so Microsoft could actual use any half decent crypto (I mean what other reason for these intentionally butchered algorithms!? Government coersion is the only logical explanation).

Government coersion is too easy. You just don't remember how lax Microsoft was on security before 2003. They had no problem with reducing security to make it easy to use. and even if they did take steps to make things more secure they never turned them on in fear of breaking compatibility.

For those who are continuing to run XP, I suggest you go and download EMET right now, and put those shields up...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544

Zero Day May is coming, unfortunately. As to those talking about specialized XP boxes, make sure you subnet those off, before May, why make the adversaries job so easy?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back