Dear sirs, Primary IDE controller not working in windows ME, buggery!

Twisted Logic

Weaksauce
Dear Members of the Hardforums community.

My name is the honorable sir Wilfred Laurier, I live in the british commonwealth nation of canada.

Onto the subject at hand.

I am the unhappy owner of a dell computation machine, I have been dissapointed by this product so far; especially since, to my dismay, i descovered that my primary ide controller on my Intel 845 chipset was not working. The secondary contoller works satisfactory and is using the same drivers as the primary. I have vigorously attempted to install different vintages of drivers, the 2003 having the best flavour, to no avail.
I furthermore have proof that it is indeed possible to rouse this device, since only a few minutes ago my dvd-rom sprang into life after reinstalling the drivers for the primary ide controller. However, once rebooted the drive had vanished...the primary controller once again was reporting to my in the Device Manager "This device is either not present, not working, or does not have all the drivers installed". The device works bloody perfectly in DOS!

So I once again ask you my fellow Genlemen, if you have heard of such an odd goings-on and have thoughts pertaining to remedying this disconcerting status-quo.

P.S.
I will not and can not migrate to another OS

Wow -- that is all I have to say.

Now on to helping you. Windows ME can be quite tricky, but I would reformat and start from scratch. Also, a bios update might not hurt.

ok, the thing about the bios is that the notebook, doesn't offially support ME (it's an XP only system), it works fine, except for our little problem. But I'll try that once I get my CD back, until then I am going to keep on trying, especially since it works, except after reboot.

sorry about the lack of proper english, I am loosing my sense f humor since this problem is the most rediculous on I have ever had.

You know, I installed gentoo and used KDE...I was really liking it, until i saw my sacred console emulators, that's my pc's most important function!

Dear Honorable Sir Wilfred Laurier;

I would like to remind his honor that his honor died in 1919 and really shouldn't be up and about. Please crawl back into the blessed Canadian earth you were resting in and take that evil OS with you. When you reach the pearly gates that must have sprung open to allow your return, kindly drop said OS in the nearest fetid pit on your way back to your heavenly abode.

Kindly Yours;

A Still Living Canadian

Sorry I was mssing the blue-screen of death and the fact that it runs fast. And most of these so called worms and such are programmed to assault 2000-XP. Security? Security be dammed.

Respectfully

Sir Wilfred Laurier, Deceased, etc...

Dear Sir Winifred,

Windows ME is a bane upon the lands. A pox. This vile creation has never ceased to cause problems and curses upon all those who wield it. Follow the path of the light, Sir Winifred, and retain the uses of what is known as "Windows XP". It is incredibly evil, like its counterpart, but with the proper management of this product, you will gain control of your primary IDE controller.

Good Day,

Lord Kurak of Windsor

If it is a fear of viruses and spyware that prevents you from upgrading your OS, then never fear -- these problems are easily combated.

Service Pack 2 fixes many of these problems (though some people still hate it, I know), and patches quite a few holes that were previously exploited by viruses. The use of Mozilla Firefox goes a long way towards preventing spyware and many viruses even, and Adaware can clean up what's left over.

I understand, I have used these operating systems, and memory usage makes my somach turn. Especially the memory usage of 2000 and xp.

How tawseth the ham this year me lord? Lord Farkwad said that thi crops suffered because of thee harsh weather.

Twillst see you in thy month of June on the 4th day me Lord.

Back