Dealing with none technical IT Managers

Wow been reading through this thread and makes me realize this seems to be a fairly common thing. It makes me glad I got out of IT. The thing with IT is the job itself can be great, it's all the other BS that comes with it that is annoying.

Red Squirrel. Trust me on this one. The "non-technical" manager is everywhere. That's why everyone likes Dilbert and the Pointy Haired Boss. No matter what the field you are in, there will be idiots and drones and maybe even a trouble-maker or two.

I'm not in IT, but I understand exactly what the OP was talking about, because I have had that kind of boss also. Sure the details will vary, but the world is full of idiots and drones and fools. Unfortunately you might end up working for someone like that.

In the most part of my I.T career dealing with managers outside of the I.T dept can be very frustrating. Just wait until you get to Federal/Government work. Managers from other depts almost have more authority and can push for things such as unlimited web traffic; unblock facebook, using google docs, etc to help meet "business" needs. Managers outside of the dept do not understand the security implication and often times have a good relationship with the department/company ISO to get pass security best practices...

things like this sometimes just make me want to hate my job especially since I am into networking/network security. One of my biggest political suicide I had already developed was my relationship with the ISO,

Just start working in IA. You can say, "I'll get back to you" as long as you want.

I must be the one of the lucky ones. My new boss can't even tell me what version of windows she is running on her laptop but she trusts me to keep things running and make make good decisions and recommendations. The hardest part for me is trying to explain IT related issues or upgrades and why they are important in terms she understands.

I must be the one of the lucky ones. My new boss can't even tell me what version of windows she is running on her laptop but she trusts me to keep things running and make make good decisions and recommendations. The hardest part for me is trying to explain IT related issues or upgrades and why they are important in terms she understands.

Half of our worth to our employer is Tech to MBA translator :D

Back