“Deadpool” Visual Effects Breakdown

you gotta admit, it is much better than the "high speed chases" that were filmed while driving at slow speeds some 20 years ago :)

The movie was friggin' awesome. I laughed my ass off.

I had no idea that much of those actions scenes was CGI. It was extremely well done.

All I know is the text crawl in the intro was jittery as fuck and hurt to watch. Needed a bit more motion blur or frames.

No one else I went with noticed :/

Strange how visual effects shops are so vital to the industry and yet so often screwed.

just wow

compositing is where digital effects are evidenced, but here its seamless, no like in the matrix.

BTW all of this is done with nvidia. (like in most movies)

Strange how visual effects shops are so vital to the industry and yet so often screwed.
Not that strange when you consider it's maybe the only aspect of production which isn't unionised. There was talk of forming a union a few years ago, but most of the business had already moved overseas so it was about twenty years too late.

Interestingly, Atomic Fiction (whose breakdown that is) are a rare example of a small company doing movie work which is actually based in the US (although they also have an office in Montreal).

Cool, I saw enough of the film in the effects. No need to watch it now lol.

BTW I never also understood that 'NSFW' thingy. Doesn't matter what you watch during work time, unless it's work related, you get fired. Or should.

That was interesting to watch.

What this really highlights is why real time ray tracing is the #1 problem to be solved with gaming hardware. We have the geometry in scenes and in a lot of cases we have the art quality. We just can't light it worth beans in real time.

BTW I never also understood that 'NSFW' thingy. Doesn't matter what you watch during work time, unless it's work related, you get fired. Or should.
At my place at least, seeing a video of a gun or car exploding while on lunch break where people walk by does not cause the same thing as tig ol' bitties on the monitor would.

I really have enjoyed watching these effects composting clips that have come out recently. I really enjoyed the one for the new Star Wars as well. Fun to see how much is fake which I would not have guessed.

It seems like there are only a few small sequences now a days where something looks not quite right. In this one the small couple second spot at around 1:44 where the rider has fallen off the bike and his limbs are flipping around... looks a little strange.

Another sequence that must be really hard is dust. It never seems to look quite right to me.

It's so impressive though that we have come to small nit picks where everything CGI was obvious 20 years ago.

Is there one of these for the REVENANT?

My GF doesn't believe that the forest, and the bear scenes weren't all CGI...

Maybe if you have some low paying job as an assistant.

In IT I can sit and watch these at my desk anytime I feel like it, but usually do it in between my work.

Last edited:
Is there one of these for the REVENANT?

My GF doesn't believe that the forest, and the bear scenes weren't all CGI...
You could tell most of that was CGI. A lot of the stuff in Deadpool I had no idea. That is friggin awesome.

The bear was of course obvious .. but yeah, Deadpool's CGI stuff, I didn't have a clue. I thought Ryan Renolds had a really acrobatic stunt double.

compositing is where digital effects are evidenced, but here its seamless, no like in the matrix.

Well consider just how much has changed since not only the released of "The Matrix" in 1999 but the 2-3 years of production work that took place before the movie was finished and finally released. Super-hella-massive jumps in technology, computer graphics, the knowledge for people in the industry today and the experience they gained from some of the work that was done back in those days was still pretty damned amazing.

Even today I still consider Jurassic Park to be almost a benchmark movie in terms of CGI work - it was released in 1993 which meant it had probably 3 full years of production work done on computers that weren't even running something like Windows 95 yet (they used SGI workstations, obviously featured in the flick with the famous "I know this, it's a UNIX system..." scene) and it still holds up very well to this day especially on something like Blu-ray.

Not it's not perfect but even so, it's truly amazing how far things have come. The sheer amount of work involved in creating something like "Deadpool" is readily evident in that type of effects breakdown video.

Now consider they made the movie at around $66-70 million, and the typical formula for any Hollywood movie is it'll have to pull in at least 3 times the production budget before it's considered a successful movie.

At the moment, according to BoxOfficeMojo, "Deadpool" has pulled in $329 million in the US and $380 million elsewhere so, at roughly $710 million and still earning money in theaters and it not even being out for home viewing or streaming yet means it'll probably get close to $900 million before the end of summer (DVD/Blu-ray release date is May so they can milk theaters as long as possible, not sure about iTunes, it's up for pre-order but with no date of availability), potentially a billion.

Ryan Reynolds and friends are some very happy campers, and yes I did catch it in theaters and yes it was damned awesome, a solid 9.5/10 action flick with a lot more as well.

they filmed that in toronto in 2014-2015 you can see some of the same pieces of city in the division... not surprising considering who did the cg production work...

even with that being CGI. they still filmed all the parts and then combined them together. You will still need stuntmen

I'm sure it'll eventually get to the point where they won't even need the stuntmen for those kind of scenes. I would still see movie studios needing stuntmen though. They'll need to weigh their options.

Is it doable with a stuntman? If so, is it cheaper to do with the stuntman or the team of CGI artist to create the scene?

Although some of the scenes made no sense to me, like where Deadpool kicks the guy out of the vehicle. I understand the CGI of the guy flying out and hitting the motorcycle, but I don't get why they had to CGI Deadpool doing the kicking. *shrugs*.

Although some of the scenes made no sense to me, like where Deadpool kicks the guy out of the vehicle. I understand the CGI of the guy flying out and hitting the motorcycle, but I don't get why they had to CGI Deadpool doing the kicking.

Well, how else would the body of the now bullet ridden and quite dead guy be able to effectively blow the door clean off the mounts and fly into the guy on the motorcycle? He's dead, krotch, think about it. :D

you gotta admit, it is much better than the "high speed chases" that were filmed while driving at slow speeds some 20 years ago :)

You don't need CGi to do high speed chases/effects nor have to go slow for it, even 20 years ago they didn't need that.

Even the Matrix, which made heavy use of CGI effects didn't go to those lengths, see:

Also the famous chase scenes in Bullit, Vanishing point, etc. It was mainly comedies you are referring to that were notorious for those cheap "sped up" scenes that were done at a slow/normal scene.

CGI has a great tool but imo a lot of film makers use it too much as a crutch these days, using it willy nilly for things that could be done with practical effects/stunt work. Jurassic Park and the Crow for example, both make use of CGI but rely on it when only needed. Heck they even built a giant animatronic T-Rex for the famous Jeep scene.

Maybe if you have some low paying job as an assistant.

In IT I can sit and watch these at my desk anytime I feel like it, but usually do it in between my work.
Well then it seems your IT department needs to have staff cuts if you have time to watch youtube during work hours.

You don't need CGi to do high speed chases/effects nor have to go slow for it, even 20 years ago they didn't need that.

Even the Matrix, which made heavy use of CGI effects didn't go to those lengths, see:

Also the famous chase scenes in Bullit, Vanishing point, etc. It was mainly comedies you are referring to that were notorious for those cheap "sped up" scenes that were done at a slow/normal scene.

CGI has a great tool but imo a lot of film makers use it too much as a crutch these days, using it willy nilly for things that could be done with practical effects/stunt work. Jurassic Park and the Crow for example, both make use of CGI but rely on it when only needed. Heck they even built a giant animatronic T-Rex for the famous Jeep scene.

Yes, I believe it was one of the first Bond movies where the car does a 360 degree flip while jumping a river; they actually did it with a curved ramp and a lot of math - but the stunt driver that day was sick, so some other worker on the set, not a stunt driver, had to step up and do it dry. Pulled it off perfectly. :wideyed:

Well then it seems your IT department needs to have staff cuts if you have time to watch you tube during work hours.

No staff cuts needed I just don't work in some kinda prison.

And we run a tight ship so you will get some downtime were efficient at what we do.

If your IT department is constantly running around to put out fires then it would seem that's where you need to start cutting heads and more so at the top.

No staff cuts needed I just don't work in some kinda prison.

And we run a tight ship so you will get some downtime were efficient at what we do.

If your IT department is constantly running around to put out fires then it would seem that's where you need to start cutting heads and more so at the top.

Our IT department does customer service and we always have every minute of the week booked up, usually weeks in advance. No time for youtube.

If your management keeps staff on idle they must be doing their jobs watching youtube too lol.

Well, how else would the body of the now bullet ridden and quite dead guy be able to effectively blow the door clean off the mounts and fly into the guy on the motorcycle? He's dead, krotch, think about it. :D

but the dead guy that was getting kicked out was a real guy. The Deadpool doing the kicking was CGI. It makes me wonder why they couldn't just have a stuntman doing the kicking instead of making a CGI version of Deadpool doing the kicking.

Well, if they wanted to keep it simple, effiicient, and "perfect" then using a CGI character inserted into the real-world effect of the stuntman being pulled out of the cab of the vehicle works better than having a real actual person put in a position (Deadpool is literally "floating" in some respects in that back seat which a real human would have some issues with considering their physical size/weight) to do that maneuver properly, not to mention potentially having to do it multiple times till someone says "Ok, that's a print..."

Seems a bit easier to me, but what do I know. :p As most of the articles talking about this effects breakdown are commenting, there's more CGI work in "Deadpool" than the vast majority of viewers ever realized which is a testament to just how well done all of that work truly was and on the budget they did it under. Pretty damned amazing stuff, really.

Well the scene probably would be a little differently set if it was a real stuntman doing the kicking. More than likely, he would have just been laying on the dead guy in the back seat and then kicking. Instead of his hand gripping the car's roof and other hand gripping essentially nothing, then kicking. I don't know which would cost more to do or which would require more time to do. Course sometimes it's not about cost or time, as they want to be different. I mean, it definitely wasn't easy or cheap to make that 360 degree camera thing for The Matrix.

Now days many cities apparently invoke speed limits during car filming. The John Wick special features mention them being limited to 35mph for the car scenes on the New York dock.

Back