Deadly Gas Leak at Apple Supplier's Plant in China

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
First it was Foxconn and now it’s Catcher Technology in China that is perpetuating Apple’s bad luck or rather, Apple supplier’s bad luck. A hydrogen sulfide gas leak at the Cather Technology factory in eastern China has killed at least one worker in a processing plant. Are Apple suppliers jinxed or just provide dangerous places to work?

China-based suppliers of electronic components for global brands have been under scrutiny in recent years following a spate of industrial accidents, pollution charges and employee suicides.

Neither. Accidents like that happen in numerous factories. It's just everything touched by Apple gets immediate media headlines. Foxconn has problems = 'Apple's supplier having problems!' (Nevermind HP, Dell, Microsoft, and that pretty much any computer has some part in it that Foxconn was involved with).

Or in this article for example it says this company makes metal casings that are used by the likes of Apple, Dell, etc. Is the headline 'Deadly gas leak at Dell supplier's plant'? Nope.

No, theu're not jinxed... imo it's Apple pushing and pushing and pushing for lower costs which leads to dangerous working conditions.

Well thes are the same type of things that used to be common in American factories before all the safety regulations and unions. It's just going to happen in developing countries with little regulation on safety in the workplace.

I've worked in over 5 fabs in the past 12 years(still do) and I've never seen anything like this happen. Their safety standards must be sh*t in Asia, we don't f*ck around over here.

We'll send a team in to take a look at it.......
(one month later)
Nope, nothin' wrong here!

note to apple stop killing innocents and make your shit in the USA then i may actually purchase it!!! Sure it will dent your profits but you have what 200 billion unofficially in the bank!! MAKE IT IN THE USA OR GTFO

note to apple stop killing innocents and make your shit in the USA then i may actually purchase it!!! Sure it will dent your profits but you have what 200 billion unofficially in the bank!! MAKE IT IN THE USA OR GTFO

Hahaha... so says he with a sig with parts not made in the USA. :rolleyes:

I really don't see what the story is here. Every time I eat Chinese food there is a gas leak an hour later. Maybe they just need to stagger the break times.

Well thes are the same type of things that used to be common in American factories before all the safety regulations and unions. It's just going to happen in developing countries with little regulation on safety in the workplace.

Thank you. So many people seem to forget that every country that has gone thorugh an industrial revolution has gone through these same sort of issues. The number of people that died during the American railroad construction, our coal miner accidents througout history, the working conditions in early industrial America and England, etc. etc.

The only difference now is we have mass media that can report everytime a factory worker in China sneezes. We also have the luxury in current industrial countries to look at the issues and say "that shouldn't happen because we've shown how to do it safely". We've also shown what a country and their people have to go through during an industrial revolution so why shouldn't other countries go "well, you all did it the same way, why do we need to do different?" Why is it that we have this overpowering need to tell other counties they need to be like us and do as we do? If anything China currently is following our footsteps so we should just be proud to have shown them the way :)

It would be interesting to see what America or England would be like if someone had stepped in and stopped child labor, enforced more safety regulations, forced employers to pay higher wages, etc. before our workers stood up and demanded it themselves. I have a sneaking suspicion that either the transition from an agricultural to industrial nation would have taken substantially longer... or would have stagnated and we would still be living with 19th century technology.

Does anyone really think the Chinese government actually gives a damn about worker safety? In their view,workers are cheap,plentiful,and easy to replace. But proper safety measures cost money and can cut into production time.

Don't worry, soon enough all those workers will be replaced with robots. Wasn't foxconn going to add 1 million robots?

i cant imagine how much can cost one apple product if it making all here.

Does anyone really think the Chinese government actually gives a damn about worker safety? In their view,workers are cheap,plentiful,and easy to replace. But proper safety measures cost money and can cut into production time.

Don't forget that America and other industrial nations went through the same thing and at the time our government didn't give a damn about worker safety either. It took the workers banding together and forming unions to make a change in how factories, coal mines, etc. were run and managed.

At this point, there doesn't appear to be much desire in the Chinese labor to band together and fight for change. There's a billion others waiting in line for the next worker to die so they can take their place. If the ones waiting in line for a chance to be hired are anything like the bystanders that ignored the child that got ran over, they would simply step over the fallen worker on their way to their new job.

Meanwhile, a bunch of identical shit happened at factories not affiliated with Apple and not a single fuck was given.

"The exact number of Chinese workers who die in factory deaths each year is unknown. Dated statistics from the International Labor Organization suggest that about 147,000, or 11.1 per 100,000, die annually. Johann Hari of the United Kingdom’s Independent asserts that about 600,000 die each year. The number, most likely, is somewhere in between."

http://www.triplepundit.com/2010/08/estimates-of-chinese-factory-deaths-147036-to-600000/

How many of these deaths are at factories that make Apple products? Maybe a dozen a year?

Don't forget that America and other industrial nations went through the same thing and at the time our government didn't give a damn about worker safety either. It took the workers banding together and forming unions to make a change in how factories, coal mines, etc. were run and managed.

At this point, there doesn't appear to be much desire in the Chinese labor to band together and fight for change. There's a billion others waiting in line for the next worker to die so they can take their place. If the ones waiting in line for a chance to be hired are anything like the bystanders that ignored the child that got ran over, they would simply step over the fallen worker on their way to their new job.

Does Tianamen Square ring a bell? Of course the workers aren't going to band together,we're not talking about a democracy here. The working conditions may suck,but it beats getting run over by a tank.

They aren't jinxed, they just keep doing business with the fuckups in China. Move production back to California and quit bitching.

Oh, yeah, but then you wouldn't be able to hide $10's billions in taxes owed.

It's CHINA. It's the way it is over there sadly. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the Chinese government and their corporations for having such lax working regulations.

They aren't jinxed, they just keep doing business with the fuckups in China. Move production back to California and quit bitching.

Oh, yeah, but then you wouldn't be able to hide $10's billions in taxes owed.

You mean the same businesses in China every electronic company uses? And every international company uses the system to keep profit overseas to avoid US taxes. I'd imagine for the most part they end up paying taxes in those foreign countries on it though.

Does Tianamen Square ring a bell? Of course the workers aren't going to band together,we're not talking about a democracy here. The working conditions may suck,but it beats getting run over by a tank.

Actually the guy didn't get run over. Some friends/bystanders yanked him out of the way. The foreign journalist who took the now famous picture had to hide his film in the tank of the toilet. Some Chinese government guys knocked on his hotel door and took the film out of his camera. Luckily those old black little canisters were air tight.

I was on another forum talking about how nothing is made in the USA anymore. Somebody implicated the EPA and all of the regulations. Safety regulations, disposal regulations, labor laws, unions, they all add up to lost American jobs. I bet you couldn't assemble a computer with parts made in the USA.

And it is probably because of stuff like this why Crapple voluntarily removed many of their products from the green list. Apple doesn't care about the environment, people, or anything else other than money. Just like so many other corporations that have moved manufacturing overseas.

Hahaha... so says he with a sig with parts not made in the USA. :rolleyes:
Kinda like the everyone who proclaims from their soapboxes that they don't buy Apple because of Foxconn, and half their PC parts are from ASUS or another Foxconn client :)

No, theu're not jinxed... imo it's Apple pushing and pushing and pushing for lower costs which leads to dangerous working conditions.

Yep, Apple has the Chinese Governments balls in a vice! Apple runs the world!!! MUAHAHA

:rolleyes:

Up until this post, only one person has truly seen the deeper unpinnings of the actual problem and brought it out from where the Sun doesn't shine. I feel compelled to quote it to draw attention to the matter.

I really don't see what the story is here. Every time I eat Chinese food there is a gas leak an hour later. Maybe they just need to stagger the break times.

Oh...and that's where the screen name "potency" comes from huh? I've wondered about that for a while now.

Up until this post, only one person has truly seen the deeper unpinnings of the actual problem and brought it out from where the Sun doesn't shine. I feel compelled to quote it to draw attention to the matter.

Oh...and that's where the screen name "potency" comes from huh? I've wondered about that for a while now.

farting-cat-1.jpg

Know you know.:D

Know you know.:D

Though all orange stripey kitties look alike, that does look a lot like local evil master kitty. I just hope he doesn't figure out how to do something like that. I already have enough trouble with his hair getting between the keys of my laptop.

Though all orange stripey kitties look alike, that does look a lot like local evil master kitty. I just hope he doesn't figure out how to do something like that. I already have enough trouble with his hair getting between the keys of my laptop.

He is just letting off steam.:D

You GTFO, you ignorant hypocritical cretin, you make the rest of the country facepalm.

Back