Dead USB ports

Bulwark

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 3, 2003
Messages
147
Well I hope someone can help me with this b/c I'm stumped.
I was loading something called USB Command verifer and I accidentely started the installation program for my sound card drivers when all of the sudden, my computer froze. Nothing moved, CTRL+ALT+DEL brought up nothing. I waiting a bit, and hit the reset button. Again nothing happened, so I hit the Power switch. Upon restarting my computer, none of my USB devices worked. Windows detects all the controllers and hubs. But I'm guessing refuses to power it or something. I checked the settings for the USB controllers so that it could shut off my USB devices to save power, that didn't help. Installed a few patches, that didn't help. Now I'm some what lost for ideas.

I know the devices still work because when the computer is starting up, it detects it when it is posting and the green status lights are on. but as soon as Windows starts to load it turns off.

Anyone have any ideas?

I should probably add I've tried different ports, different devices, I've installed the Windows XP USB 2.0 patch. and still nothing.
 
try to start up in safe mode and remove the sound drivers.
 
I don't think it's the sound drivers, b/c I just got to the menu that had the option "modify, repair, remove" etc. and I never selected ne of them so I don't think the sound drivers are the problem, plus sound still works so.

I've tried removing all the USB controllers and hubs and letting windows redetect them....still nothing. I'd remove the device I had plugged in (my logitech cordless comfort pro), but they already have been removed somehow when I restarted the computer.
 
Back
Top