• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dead system

LarryC

n00b
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
13
I reseated my heatsink twice because my quad core has been running hot. The first time, It booted fine but was still too hot. So, I reseated the heatsink and applied new compound. Now the computer will not start up. When I press the power button it comes on momentarily. The fans spin for a few seconds but it pretty much immediately turns off.:(

This may be impossible to troubleshoot from afar. I just thought I would try.
Please help.

Thanks
 
Sounds like the motherboard is gone. Do you have a spare system that you can test the PSU with?
 
I do, but that is a pain. The spare system works fine. I will check the motherboard again. Something must have shorted out.
 
I narrowed it down to the power supply. I got it running briefly this evening. It then shut off and did the same thing as before. I will get a new one tomorrow.
 
I replaced the power supply today. The system is back up and running now.
 
Back
Top