Dead Space - uggh

I disabled v-sync and maxed sensitivity. It's not perfect but it's playable given the mood/pacing of the game.

The mouse controls are my only real gripe with what is an otherwise excellent game. I thought the cumbersome movement and restricted movement was a nice change of pace from the usual fast and furious FPS experience.
Did you reenable Vsync in the control panel? I know it sounds stupid but you need to disable it in game, then re-enable it in the control panel (force on) as well as have triple buffering on. The Triple Buffering + Vsync forced in the CP together do something I can't explain to the game that make it play a lot better. In game vsync + TB on doesn't work right, you need it on the CP. Plus the game has horrible screen tearing anyways.

Yeah, poor controls are a signature of the survival-horror genre.

If you controlled like Dante or Ryu Hayabusa, you really wouldn't give a damn about seeing any aliens. You could trivialize them with feet along. Heck, in resident evil, if you were able to walk like a normal human being you'd have nothing to fear from any of those zombies.

I though the pacing was great. In this day and age, everyone should own some sort of gamepad for the PC for games just like this.

The was closer to SS2 than bio shock in my opinion. The scariest game i have played since undying, the music is really excellent. The level design is outstanding, because it's logical and makes sense given the enviroment your in. The best part of the game was the committment to the idea. You moved slow because of the suit, you had limit visiblity because of the suit. One of the most immersive games to on in a long time.

This is just amazing, and goes to show how specific tastes can be! Undying is one of my favourite games of all time, easily one of the scariest, with System Shock 2 falling either very close behind or(due to Undying's less than scary final 1/3rd or so) edging out just in front. I just found Dead Space too darn frustrating! Maybe I should give it another shot, since everyone who really likes Dead Space also seems to really like all of my other favourite titles in the genre :/

This is just amazing, and goes to show how specific tastes can be! Undying is one of my favourite games of all time, easily one of the scariest, with System Shock 2 falling either very close behind or(due to Undying's less than scary final 1/3rd or so) edging out just in front. I just found Dead Space too darn frustrating! Maybe I should give it another shot, since everyone who really likes Dead Space also seems to really like all of my other favourite titles in the genre :/
It's definitely worth a second chance. DS has elements of SS2, Doom 3 and Aliens vs. Predator 2.

One of the best games i've played in a long time, I really enjoyed it. The Zero gravity moments are really fantastic. You have to use an Xbox 360 controller and force V-sync in the Control Panel. If you use V-Sync in game it cuts you down to 30fps.

J3RK; It's funny that you bring up System Shock, as it really doesn't share any of the *deliberate* "problems" this game suffers from. If the only issue with the game was quirky controls, it would be different. But to compare to SS: was it a dark, intense, scary game? I think so. Did you spend the entire game looking mostly at the back of your own head? No. Did you move in slow motion? No. If those aspects turn people off of Dead Space, then so be it.

I'd hate for someone to purchase the game based on people here saying how good it is and not mentioning these problems. If you like them so much, feel free to tout them as features; "It's a great game, it's really hard to see because most of the screen is taken up by the back of your head." "The game is really intense, you move really, really slowly because of this big suit you're wearing." Just don't act like it's no different from any other 3rd person shooter, because it doesn't feel anything like ANY third person shooter I've ever played, and it's only fair that people know this before purchasing.

I've posted quite a few positive views on this game, and I've qualified every one of them with the fixes necessary to make the game acceptable. Once tweaked a bit, it controls every bit as good as it does on the console (and better if you prefer the mouse like I do.) Is it absolutely perfect? No, but most of my favorite games of the past haven't been either. People have become so picky about things. As things progress, it makes sense to some degree. However, a little adaption couldn't hurt to allow oneself to enjoy something despite some flaws. If you're super-picky, and are ok with letting these things spoil a game for you then fine. Your choice. I agree that flaws should be pointed out. What I'm disagreeing with is all of the comments about how it's "unplayable" due to things that people may not have bothered trying to fix. The POV/FOV might not be to your taste, but it seems that plenty of people enjoyed it anyway. I'm simply countering these opinions with mine to bring a bit of balance to the view of a game that I really enjoyed.

And as far as SS goes, no it's not a perfect comparison, but I drew it because a lot of people including friends of mine, won't give it enough of a chance because they can't get used to the controls. They are seriously missing out on one of the best gaming experiences ever, and one that is just as valid today as it was when it came out. I had such a good time playing it, that it makes me a little sad that someone else isn't willing to look past a control scheme to experience the same thing.

Dead Space isn't quite on the same level of greatness, but it is a great game, and I'm excited to have other people experience it as well. Nobody is required to play it, and nobody is required to like it, but since I had so much fun with it, I think others would too if they looked past a few minor (IMO) flaws.

Hm, Xbox360 controller is a no-go for me, would any old dual-analog controller work? I have a couple of logitech controllers around here that I use mostly for emulators. I'm pretty sure I understand why using an analog stick would at least *feel* better, so I'd rather try it like that than give the mouse another go.

If you want to 100% get rid of mouse lag, get the program aptly named FPSLimiter

cap at your refresh rate and like magic, everything works gloriously smooth. This is what I did when I played through dead space

Loved the game but, it really does play better with a controller. Once I switched from KB/M to a 360 controller it felt right.

I've posted quite a few positive views on this game, and I've qualified every one of them with the fixes necessary to make the game acceptable. Once tweaked a bit, it controls every bit as good as it does on the console (and better if you prefer the mouse like I do.) Is it absolutely perfect? No, but most of my favorite games of the past haven't been either. People have become so picky about things. As things progress, it makes sense to some degree. However, a little adaption couldn't hurt to allow oneself to enjoy something despite some flaws. If you're super-picky, and are ok with letting these things spoil a game for you then fine. Your choice. I agree that flaws should be pointed out. What I'm disagreeing with is all of the comments about how it's "unplayable" due to things that people may not have bothered trying to fix. The POV/FOV might not be to your taste, but it seems that plenty of people enjoyed it anyway. I'm simply countering these opinions with mine to bring a bit of balance to the view of a game that I really enjoyed.

And as far as SS goes, no it's not a perfect comparison, but I drew it because a lot of people including friends of mine, won't give it enough of a chance because they can't get used to the controls. They are seriously missing out on one of the best gaming experiences ever, and one that is just as valid today as it was when it came out. I had such a good time playing it, that it makes me a little sad that someone else isn't willing to look past a control scheme to experience the same thing.

Dead Space isn't quite on the same level of greatness, but it is a great game, and I'm excited to have other people experience it as well. Nobody is required to play it, and nobody is required to like it, but since I had so much fun with it, I think others would too if they looked past a few minor (IMO) flaws.

Co-signed.

also make sure you dont have the settings too high for your card / when i originally played it i had a 8800 and i had the settings maxed / laggy and not a lot of fun

then my 260, settings maxed... much better

now my 5850, settings maxed... its a completely different game, the mouse is still laggy in menus - but in the gameplay is just as it should be

as many have stated - its not a run and gun fast twitch fest... its slow, methodical, think the original resident evil series... where you take your time [except for when you're running for your life!]

all that being said, its not for everyone... i didnt like it at first... it grew on me

the mouse sensitivity fluctuates with your framerate, it's a bug.

vsync introduces input lag and stupidly high fps makes the mouse sensitivity drop to unusable levels of sluggish.

Input lag was nearly non-existent with VSync (though it was definitely there,) on my system when I played it. (I played on a GTX-285, then GTX-295 system when I played it.) However, it's not Quake 3, so the little bit of lag that was there didn't bother me. However, tearing and framerate fluctuations bother me more than a little bit of lag. Really the only game that input lag has ever bothered me in was the Quake series, and even then with VSync, it's not that bad. I can definitely see why it would bother some people though. I think I just have lag compensation built into my brain... ...or something. :D (Unless it gets too sloppy, then the experience starts to decline.)

Back