Dead Space 2

zaxour

[H]ard|Gawd
Did anyone else try the demo last night? I played through it and have a few thoughts.

The new zero-gravity movement is a huge improvement over DS1. No longer do you need to point and aim, jumping from surface to surface. You just fly around, and it works great. Graphics seem to be just about the same, I couldn't really see a night and day improvement. The only new weapon you get to play with is the Javelin, and it's pretty neat....fire a "spear" into your enemy, then hit the alternate fire to release a shock.

In terms of horror, the demo got me once and it was pretty good.

All in all, I'm very excited for the next Dead Space and it's going to make Resident Evil's job that much harder!

no shit? I'm a fan of the first game on PS3, i'm gonna grab the demo this weekend, thank you very much for the heads up.

I thought it looked a lot better than the first game, mostly due to the fact that it's native 1080p.

Cool, will download the demo for ps3. Getting it for the pc though. First one looked horrible on ps3, hopefully it is much improved.

I just downloaded the demo (360) and I thought the graphics looked a little better but I haven't fired up the PC version in a while. Usually when I run the PC version I realize how crappy it looks on the consoles, heh.

I immediately stopped playing it, though. I haven't finished DS1 and I know the intro for the DS2 demo just spoiled the later parts of DS1, heheh... so I really need to get on finishing DS1.

It felt like it was running better, or something. Maybe they improved some things on the console. I remember back in the 16bit console days that later in the console's life they would learn tricks to make the games look more advanced (the pre-rendered stuff in Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox polygons, etc) than the hardware they were running on; not sure if that's happening with the current generation stuff yet.

I just downloaded the demo (360) and I thought the graphics looked a little better but I haven't fired up the PC version in a while. Usually when I run the PC version I realize how crappy it looks on the consoles, heh.

I immediately stopped playing it, though. I haven't finished DS1 and I know the intro for the DS2 demo just spoiled the later parts of DS1, heheh... so I really need to get on finishing DS1.

It felt like it was running better, or something. Maybe they improved some things on the console. I remember back in the 16bit console days that later in the console's life they would learn tricks to make the games look more advanced (the pre-rendered stuff in Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox polygons, etc) than the hardware they were running on; not sure if that's happening with the current generation stuff yet.

It most certainly is happening. One advantage consoles have over PC's is a fixed platform. Developers can focus and optimize the game to run as best as possible because the hardware is the same across the board. Game engines, new technology and compression tools improve with time and thus games get better with time on consoles.

Just look at launch titles compared to now, its Night and Day.

Well I watched a video of a little playthrough of Dead Space 2 on xbox360 last night, looked liked frame drops galore. Just simply not powerful enough to run it smoothly.

I was getting 100-200fps maxed out at 2560x1600 with my HD5870 at stock clocks in DS1. On PS3 DS1 looked like ass and only did 720p. Reason why I only buy exclusives for ps3.

Gonna dl the demo now that I'm home.

Edit:

K played it. Runs decently, frames drop a little, but I was only walking around in corridors, would expect more drop in open areas. Graphically pretty comparable to DS1 on pc, but pc looks much clearer. The doors are annoying as hell though, takes like 5 seconds to open and seems there is a door every 10 ft. I can't aim for shit with a controller, so I died within 5 minutes lol.

Last edited:
Yeah the doors are a pain, at first i thought wtf.. u enter and exit the same kinds of rooms 4,5 times i was about to give up what a crap layout geez..

Can't expect graphics to improve much more in this generation, so the same graphics isn't an issue. It's just everything else that makes the demo feel like a level from the original that didn't make the cut.

The story is the usual idiotic sci-fi cheese but I don't really mind. There just looks to have been very little gameplay evolution other than the free-movement in zero gravity.

It is only a demo, so the full-game might be better...but if it was supposed to impress me enough to buy it next month, it failed hard.

is there no quick turn in this game? ( or did i miss it?) makes it hard to deal with swarm

There was no quick turn in DS1. Its supposed to make you feel like you are fighting for your life. It took me a bit to get used to the controls but once I did I had no problem avoiding danger. If you're surrounded or there's baddies too close, run. Also, in tight situations, make use of your slowdown ability.

Looks much better than the first, but it's a shame the demo was so short. I also noticed the controls are much more responsive.

Back