Dead - Ryzen 5 3600 - $159.99

• Thread starter Deleted member 290925
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked into or ran an AMD cpu since my Athlon XP2500.

Currently running a 4690K right now and looking to upgrade. I have a 9600K in my cart but, I might just have to go back to AMD.

I haven't looked into or ran an AMD cpu since my Athlon XP2500.

Currently running a 4690K right now and looking to upgrade. I have a 9600K in my cart but, I might just have to go back to AMD.
For $40 less you can get the Ryzen 5 3600 and it comes with 6c/12t instead of just 6 core significantly lower power and heat but is slightly lower base clocks.
A more than reasonable trade IMO and you could upgrade down the road without replacing the mobo if you grab a B550 or X570 mobo.
I just built a 3600 rig for the wifey with this threads deal and its baller so far.

I know Zen 3s are incoming and should offer a good IPC bump, but I see no need whatsoever to upgrade yet from my 3600. I'm not doing any sort of highly-intensive compute, and don't really need sky-high FPS with my monitor which is 4k 60hz where my money is better spent on GPU. I don't really think I'll want to upgrade until PC game ports start coming in from the new console crop that may take advantage of 8 cores, but we won't likely see these games hit PC until 2023.

If you are moving from a 6-7 year-old CPU e.g. 2600, this is a no brainer. It's a lot of processing for $160.

Agreed that the 3600 will be long remembered for its price/performance, along the lines of the Athlon 64 3200+.

I had a 6 core Phenom II. I loved it. However, it was even CPU limited with my Radeon HD7870. I had thought that system was already pretty great. But a later upgrade to an Skylake i3 6100.....showed even more performance from my 7870. And not too much later----a Kaby Lake 7600k.

A phenom II X6 is probably still fine for average web browsing. but its going to limit virtually any worthwhile GPU. Even the budget stuff.
Unless you run at like 8k or something :)
In all seriousness, I find my 3600 is limited in FC5 at 1440p ultra. Somtimes GPU usage is low as 65% :(

I think the 3600 will eat the 4790k for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have the 2600 and the 5820K. If I remember correctly, the 5820K, 6 cores needed to OC to 4.2-4.3Ghz to match the 2600 in Cinebench R15. 4790k is a quad.
Well, i current have like:

16 gig of ram
ssd
dual monitor 1440p and 1080

i been asking but i been suggest to wait till new gpu come out first and see what happen

You could always upgrade the internals and keep the 1070 until you upgrade the GPU when the new ones come out.

The IPC also got better, so even at 3.2ghz vs 3.2ghz the 3600 is faster. The easiest thing to do is compare benchmarks at the single thread level, where you'll really notice the difference. For example here https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/4040vs3919 shows on average about 30% better single thread performance. Anyway only you can decide if your cpu is holding you back in your current use case.

Im thinking about it; I currently dont game much anymore (just lack of time) but I just got my first LG 27" 144hz gaming monitor last week and might want to test it out. I dont think my r9 390 will handle up on it but i'll have to look into it. I may wait and get the 3600 and new video card when they release the new gen in a few months. For anything cpu intensive I generally have my unraid server doing the heavy lifting.

Awesome deal, i built a system a week ago and that deal would have been a good choice

Tempting to replace a 1700 with this 3600 for my plex server. I do handbrake from time to time and not sure if losing 2 cores makes up for the better IPC of the 3600. Probably a wash.

Assuming I could sell a 1700 for $100 (prolly more like 85) I don't know that the IPC increase and slightly lower temps are worth the $55

Tempting to replace a 1700 with this 3600 for my plex server. I do handbrake from time to time and not sure if losing 2 cores makes up for the better IPC of the 3600. Probably a wash.

Assuming I could sell a 1700 for $100 (prolly more like 85) I don't know that the IPC increase and slightly lower temps are worth the $55
I've got a 1700x in my Plex server and I've considered it. Still going to wait for the next gen personally since the most use it gets is transcoding which does use all 8 cores. The single thread performance is about 25% better, so if you find you're waiting on single threaded tasks it would be a nice improvement. The eight core performance is barely better, so while it is impressive that 6 cores can beat 8 cores, it isn't by enough to bother. I also think you're going to have a tough time actually selling a 1700 right now.

QUAD DAMAGE POSTING ACTIVATED lol

lol, when doubleposts aren't enough, bring forth the quad post. my work internet must be having issues, can an admin delete 3 of these? ty

You should have edit and delete icons under your own posts?

Well how about that, I do see the ability to Delete post. Most forums I belong to allow Edit only, delete is for mods.

With great power, comes greater responsibility. I will leave my posts as is as a reminder for all eternity.

nah keep the 1700. It's overkill in a Plex server anyways. Rather move to GPU encoding in Plex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back