• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dead PSU during bios hot flash?

mwalt2

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
98
I was messing around with some old hardware and was attempting to hot flash a bios chip. I had the good bios chip in loose so it would be easy to pull when the machine was running. When I tried to power on the system, the fans turned on, but the system did not boot from the floppy or load a bios screen. I let it run for a minute or two and then shut it off by holding in on the power button. After pushing the good bios chip fully into the socket, the computer would not even turn on now (no fans, etc.). I removed the PSU and tried to jump it by using a paper clip between the green wire and a ground and it did not start, so I assume it's dead (right?). The light on the motherboard does light up though when the PSU is connected. I'm not sure how the bios chip not being seated all of the way in the socket could kill the PSU since you remove the bios chip completely during a hot flash, but I can't think of why else it would die then. There were no weird sounds or smoke :). It's not really a problem that the PSU is probably dead since it's 4 or 5 years old, I'm more just curious why it would die at that moment. Any ideas?
 
bump, could someone at least tell me the answer to the bolded text in original post? I know logic probably says it's dead, but I've never jumped a PSU and have also never had one die on me. Thanks.
 
I would say its dead if you can't get it to start up by jumping it. They make psu testers, but it probably isn't worth buying for an old psu.
 
Back
Top