• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dead processor?

Sherk

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
2,894
Ok so...

A few months ago I left my stupid phone line directly attached to my computer (I was too lazy to find another cord and run it through my UPS, stupidly, I admit that).

Well, the computer took a lightning strike (whole house surged, lights lit up that weren't on, bunch of crazy stuff). I'm going to assume the modem was fried (tossed it on a pile of broken stuff, that's no big deal).

The motherboard was RMA'd with no problems (the lights on the board were "pulsing" on and off).

I now believe that the CPU is killing motherboards. I received the RMA board, which should have worked just fine - but isn't working properly. I've swapped RAM, power supplies, and the video card for others. I have spares of everything except CPUs.

The board turns on, but does not POST. I RMA'd it again, thinking I had a bad board. No dice.

Is the processor killing motherboards? Would Intel RMA the processor?
 
Go to Fry's, buy a new CPU, pop it in, and see if it works. If so, keep the CPU. If problems persist, suspect ram.
 
Don't forget that the CPU has warranty.

OEM = 30 days :(

Retail = 3 years :)

If you do have a retail CPU and it is dead. Intel will RMA you one with overnight shipping.
 
Back
Top