Dead Prescott?

Don_1

Gawd
Just recieved a new 3.0e from Newegg.

I took out my 2.8c and replaced it with the Prescott and put the water block back on, hooked everything up.
Powered on the computer, heard the normal bootup beep.
Looked over at my monitor and all I saw was a blank screen.
I reset the cmos battery, and tried again same thing.
I have the beta bios 14.4 installed.
I put my 2.8c back in and it booted, and got this message cpu has been changed or or is unworkable.
I have tried several times to reseat it, always the same results.
Funny thing is everything spins up, but the monitor doesn't turn on.

Thanks

All that message means is that it knows you took your 2.8C in and out. Heck it could mean that it knows you moved your heatsink. I've had it yell at me like that for just switching heatsinks. More likely, the prescott doesn't like one or more of your bios settings or your ram sticks.

You should be able to go into your bios and adjust cpu settings when you get that message. Of course prescott compatibility is kind of iffy right now, so that could be stopping you.

I'm going to send it back to Newegg.:mad:
With the Prescott, my system won't give me any love.
I put the 2.8c back in and no problems...Shrugs my shoulders....

Kudos to you. You wouldnt gain much of a performance increase with that prescott from what you have anyway. Plus you'd probably burn that IC7 out while you're at it. Why not OC that 2.8?

yeah keep the northwood, i am loving my 4 ghz but i might be selling this off to get a 3.4 and try for like 4.2 ghz

I just wanted to play with someting new, but now I'm going to wait until april or may and see what's out there.

Personally I would wait until fall of this year. A lot of new stuff is coming out including the BTX formfactor, PCI Xpress, 64-32bit extension CPU's. The next few months are going to be quite interesting in the hardware realm (as if it already weren't ;) ).

Back